• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food changes

Hiya :wave:

Just wondering you know if I run out of the type of food I feed Bella but I have another brand like Russel Rabbit, would it upset her tummy or anything as I have now. She has enough food for tonight but I'm talking about tomorrow and the future. I use the pet shop brand as that's the only solid food she has been introduced to since she was old enough to be on solid food. Would it upset her in any way or anything?

With thanks,
Diana xx

yes this would bella as its a different food, food changes have to be done gadually over 7-10 days to make sure you don't cause a stomach upset.

yes this would bella as its a different food, food changes have to be done gadually over 7-10 days to make sure you don't cause a stomach upset.

Okay and should I introduce it mixed in her food bowl with the food Bella is used to then? Would it be alright if I kept swapping the foods even if she was used to both of them?

With thanks,
Diana xx

Okay and should I introduce it mixed in her food bowl with the food Bella is used to then? Would it be alright if I kept swapping the foods even if she was used to both of them?

With thanks,
Diana xx

No Diana, it would still be bad for her stomach if you kept swapping foods. why do you need to?

To swap over, you mix the foods and gradually increase the new food and decrease the old fold.

No Diana, it would still be bad for her stomach if you kept swapping foods. why do you need to?

To swap over, you mix the foods and gradually increase the new food and decrease the old fold.

I don't need, need to but sometimes the pet shop doesn't have the food that Bella is used to and we can't seem to find Russel Rabbit and believe me, we've looked and looked!

Okay, so shouldn't I give her the Russel Rabbit then and just throw it away or donate it or something?

I used to have this problem with their old food and before i came on this forum i used to swap it alot.. *slaps wrists*
Why not change her food to Burgess Excel Pellets? It's a fantastic quality food and they do MASSIVE jumbo packs, (mine has lasted months and months and has about a third left) It's cheaper, better for her and more convenient :D

I used to have this problem with their old food and before i came on this forum i used to swap it alot.. *slaps wrists*
Why not change her food to Burgess Excel Pellets? It's a fantastic quality food and they do MASSIVE jumbo packs, (mine has lasted months and months and has about a third left) It's cheaper, better for her and more convenient :D

Aww. Okay, thankies for the tip, I will discuss this with my mum and will get back to you, thankies again! ;)

I'd aviod things like russell rabbit, they can selective feed. She will be much better on pellets like Excel or SS. As people have said mix the food over 7-10 days to avoid upsetting her tummy.

When you buy your food why not buy 2 bags then when the first one is used you know to start looking around to replace it, or better still put Bella onto Excel pellets - you can get these at P@H or your local vet might even stock it.
Also have you tried Kennelgate there is one at Trowell.

As said before (just went to double check) Burgess Excel do 10KG bags, (of which you can imagine, are massive) and that cost me £12.
I got this from a local farm shop, and i got it beginning of July, and there is alot still left.
Bargain.
It'd save you ALOT of money!
BUT mine only get a few handfuls aday (Bella less) but mine do have veggies, grass and hay.
Does Bella have veggies?
If not, she'll need more pellets.

Okay and thankies. What do you feed yours?

I feed all my bunnies Excel :) Ive always used Excel since i had Lottie, not had any problems yet so i dont see a reason to change.

With Russel Rabbit, make sure Bella doesnt selective feed :? She may not be getting the right nutrients if she does. With mixes like that they tend to pick out what they like and leave what they dont like xXx

Could you perhaps try Bella on a pellet food?
Then you could be sure shes getting everything she needs.

I often find with Museli they selective eat.

:wave::)

Could you perhaps try Bella on a pellet food?
Then you could be sure shes getting everything she needs.

I often find with Museli they selective eat.

:wave::)

I found the same so gradually changed Marsha and Lilly (binky free hun) to selective, all 4 are on it and they are mentalists!!

I think Bella is eating all the bits in Russel Rabbit including bits she doesn't like as she has learnt that it doesn't get topped-up if she doesn't try and eat them, I might sound harsh but it works ;)

Back