• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Internal stitches

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
petal got internal stitches and her wound glued do i still have to take her for a checkup, the girl never really said.

I would give them a ring to see what their policy is. When my vets neuter the cost normally includes a post spay check a few days later. :)

yeah well thats what i thought but they girl sorta said not to worry bout bringing her down unless theres something wrong, she's healing up lovely like. well i could ring tomorrow and see if the need her in for a checkup as sat will be 10 days and i could take her down. don't i move her back onto sawdust? she has a blanket down in her hutch with some meadow hay. wouldn't to make her more itchy like :?:

How long ago was she spayed? Im guessing this is what shes had done :D At our vets we have to take them back after 3 days, then again after 10 days... however our rspca buns who get neutered only have to go back once after 3 days unless theres any other probs. Different places have diff ways :) I'd leave her on her blankie a few days hehe, bet shes loving it :love: xXx

Yeah well thats what i thought because ted had to get stitches in her leg and she had to go back after 3 days then 10 to get them out, but maybe it's different with them being internal stitches, going to give them a ring this afternoon and see. she got it done last thursday, yeah she seems to have left the blanket alone, needs shook out it's covered in hay and poops :lol:

well phoned the vets there and she said she needed to get the stitches out, thing is how they gonna do that when their internal :shock:? taking her anyway tomorrow. do no harm for a checkup anywat.

internal stitches are usually dissolvable ie they dissolve after a while once the wound has healed usually the bun still requires a check up as these stitches can still be pulled out if bun gets the glue off or jumps around a lot x

lol i know, unless i'm being silly and she has stitches but theres diffianetly nothing poking out her, i remember teds well and hers doesn't like that. all well they maybe forgot. :lol:

my bridge bun Goofball also has internal stitches too, but she could have still pull it. So what I do is to put those sterile medical pad 3 x 4 inch on the wound, then use non-stick green painter tape to cross tape the area. In the end, she can't reach it. There is some air to the wound as she moved, and the wound will still heal, and the above trick totally avoid any chance of a bun picking on the wound

took petal to the vets on sat there and she's healing lovely, vet was very pleased with her progress, she said to leave her on the blanket for another week or so.so i also got Ted booked in on the 27th, not looking forward to that as last time it took ted ages to get her back to normal eating habits :? well it needs done like. thanks for all your help everyone. :wave:

Back