• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food aggression

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
Ted recently has got really bad for food agression, she makes funny noises at me and would lunge, don't understand whats brought this on as i've never taken her food away from her. the bowl stays in one place. but in the morning i've to give her a bit food then hold her down a bit to give me time to put the food in her bowl. shes not spayed yet so wether that has anything to do with it, but would like your thoughts, o i she takes her time eating the food so it's not like she gobbles it in case it's taken from her.

lol i'm hopefully getting her spayed at the end of the month. she was in for an op about 3 months, do you think this is a long enough time between them?

lol i'm hopefully getting her spayed at the end of the month. she was in for an op about 3 months, do you think this is a long enough time between them?

I don't know to be honest - but your vet can advise:) I have a couple of nethies here that had dentals with GAs, & I've been holding off neuters as I didn't want to GA-them-out

yeah well give the vets a ring and check with them at the end of the month, she had to go get stitches. :roll: she's a wee rascal. it's very humourous the sound she makes though. she's not food agressive when i give her a treat and i'd pet her, it's just when i place it in the bowl. they funny wee things.

yeah well give the vets a ring and check with them at the end of the month, she had to go get stitches. :roll: she's a wee rascal. it's very humourous the sound she makes though. she's not food agressive when i give her a treat and i'd pet her, it's just when i place it in the bowl. they funny wee things.

Calel charges. The first time I didn't move my hand away (well, the second - the first he bit through my vein & nerves:lol:), he looked so shocked:lol: He just turned away & then watched from a distance.

ouch that must have hurt. yeah it's really wired the way ted gets on, it's only when something is put in her bowl. i guess i'd get cross i thought someone was hovering over my food. hmmm may try some phyiscology on her. bringing her bowl into the house and feeding her a treat out of it or something. who knows.

ouch that must have hurt.

The vein bit hurt, but by the time he got to the nerves my hand had switched off - that was actually scarier, cos he was still attached to my wrist:lol: 2 years later & I still have weird sensations in my thumb

aw what, thats awful. goodness well no thankfully ted isn't that bad but i can't let it get to that stage either. petal got done last week and she mellowed a bit, wasn't too sure if there'd be much of a change. has your bun stopped?

I've never known a rabbit show signs of proper food aggression towards a human...they tend to get more wound up by hands or bowls wafting in front of their face than any need to guard their food.

yeah wel the other day i was tidying the shed up before i went to work and had feed them and ted came over to see me mid way through her dinner so i thought aw aren't you so cute and opened the door to give her a pet and kiss and she just grunted and lunged at my hand. i was sorry. :roll:so i then picked her up and give her a big cuddle and then put her back in. didn't want to let her away with it. she was fine after that. but just every morning she gives off.

aw what, thats awful. goodness well no thankfully ted isn't that bad but i can't let it get to that stage either. petal got done last week and she mellowed a bit, wasn't too sure if there'd be much of a change. has your bun stopped?

No:lol: A lady at a cat Rescue rescued him from a bad breeder & got him neutered etc. He came from a very bad situation & didn't handle it well. Plus he was moved around a bit due to his aggression. I wanted to foster him as a challenge:lol: He was an angel until 3 weeks in:lol: He has improved. He is bonded & settled. I still rarely handle him - but we have a system - he gets in a pet carrier now so I can clean his section without him in it - or give him garden time.

He loves nose rubs & strokes - on his terms - gently & only if he approaches you. Bizarrely he is an incredibly friendly rabbit - I think things just get messed up in his head, & he reacts to it, & forgets no one will hurt him. He isn't good with men - & the only other person he let nose rub him was my best mate:)

aw well at least you give him a happy home, sounds like the wee darling has been through alot. ted has no ecuse apart from being spoilt. :oops::roll:

Back