• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Doesn't Get Hay

Lspacehopper

Wise Old Thumper
Today, I had a lady wanting to buy a rabbit, but I refused and she wasn't best pleased with me. She already has one that she got from us almost a year ago (had I been told the full story I would not have sold). I also remember talking to this lady when she was interested in an adoption rabbit a few months ago. Her daughter is ill and they cannot have hay in the house, so the rabbit only has nuggets and treat sticks.

I told her this wasn't an acceptable diet for a rabbit and she said her vet said the rabbit is absolutely fine and doesn't need hay!!!!

Opinions please........

well hay is a subsitute for fresh grass, so if the buns can eat fresh grass all year round then okay, but otherwise it's supposed to be 90% of their diet, and hay helps to keep their evergrowing teeth working as they should otherwise they will have many many problems in the future

well hay is a subsitute for fresh grass, so if the buns can eat fresh grass all year round then okay, but otherwise it's supposed to be 90% of their diet, and hay helps to keep their evergrowing teeth working as they should otherwise they will have many many problems in the future

I agree wholeheartedly, but it's so frustrating when you try and explain this and the person strops out and says they will go elsewhere and get 'one'.

~~sighs~~

i would find out who her vet is, ring them and ask or pretend maybe on advise on dietry needs for a bun, i find it hard to belive a vet would say no hay would be ok, unless somenes fibbing somewhere,

You've done the right thing.. I feel if she had spoken to a vet, they would have mentioned the grass option and she would have been forthcoming with this info.

Sounds fishy to me... how's her original rabbit? Fine? No teeth problems?

p.s. Sorry but I had to laugh at the irony of her stropping out of a large national pet chain threatening to get one elsewhere :lol: as rescues often get this same pet chain mentioned when they give good advice that's falling on deaf ears.

I think somebody's telling porkies, or at least bending the truth. Surely no vet would say that??

:wave: There is 4 vets at the practice that I use. Each and every time I go in (with bun or cats), whichever one I see they always mention hay and ask if Cookie is still eating it. I think she's telling porkies.

she probably told the vet the bun was out on grass all day.. some people need to be executed :evil:

well done for standing your ground hun :D:D

Her daughter is ill and they cannot have hay in the house.

Is that her daughter is allergic to the hay? Im allergic to the hay, but it doesn't mean that I would stop Charlie and Princess having it. I just dose up on antihistamines, and give them plenty for the day. I only give them it once a day, but they get enough to last 24 hours. Charlie didn't used to eat a lot of hay but they are turning into big hay eaters now I have changed the way I feed them.

Is that her daughter is allergic to the hay? Im allergic to the hay, but it doesn't mean that I would stop Charlie and Princess having it. I just dose up on antihistamines, and give them plenty for the day. I only give them it once a day, but they get enough to last 24 hours. Charlie didn't used to eat a lot of hay but they are turning into big hay eaters now I have changed the way I feed them.

No, cystic fibrosis hence why I can understand the need to be careful about dust etc, but I did inform them you can get dust free hay.

Is the bunny indoors or out? If out, I don't understand why they can't feed hay. It does sound like a bunny is an inappropriate pet in that situation - what happens when they moult? :?

EDIT: Lspacehopper - good for you for standing your ground if you weren't happy with the situation - it's so much better than risking a bun's future

yes the dust free hay is very dust free....if she is that worried about dust then bunnies are not really the right pet to have..most litters are a bit dusty, their pellets crumble and can cause dust and when they moult......little dust bunnies everywhere.

You made the right decision

a vet once told me that my bunnies didnt need grass just ' a few handfuls of grass everyday'

:roll:

:shock::shock::shock: I saw a really rubbish locum at my vets who told me that any girly friend we got for Alfie wouldn't need spaying because he'd been neutered - she seemed mystified when I mentioned the health and behaviour benefits for the girl. :roll::roll: But, even she knew that rabbits need hay. :lol::lol:

Is the bunny indoors or out? If out, I don't understand why they can't feed hay. It does sound like a bunny is an inappropriate pet in that situation - what happens when they moult? :?

EDIT: Lspacehopper - good for you for standing your ground if you weren't happy with the situation - it's so much better than risking a bun's future

Apparently the daughter couldn't go outside to see the bun so the bun is indoors, or in a side brick conservatory.

As much as I feel for the family, the bun had to come first and I'm only sorry that I wasn't aware of the situation when they got the first rabbit.

Thanks for your comments :)

You never know, you may have gotten through to her. I had a lady come into the vets to buy superexcel, and she said the same, her rabbits don't get hay as they don't eat it. I said they won't eat it if they have pellets to eat- its like giving a kid a choice between veggies and chocolate, they'll eat the chocolate every time, but its not good as for them- and they're diet should be 80-90% hay. She left saying hers were fine.She came in the other day and told me she had started to feed hay again- yeah. So don't be disheartened, she has maybe gone off and will think about it. Well done for refusing to sell, she might go and do a bit of research.

Last edited:
You can get hay pellets as well now, can't you, and hay cakes.
Squidgy isn't overly keen on hay, but he absolutely adores grass, so he gets picked fresh grass several times a day.
There are solutions, it's just if they are willing to accept them I suppose.

Back