• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny jabs

Charys

Mama Doe
Tomorrow my spirited and gorgeous licky baby boy, Mint, is going for his first inocculations. Is there anything I should be aware of; firstly about how they are given ? Secondly, any reactions that are possible following the jabs ?

TIA

Myxo and VHD shouldn't be given together. The Myxo should be given, and then a fortnight later, the VHD should be given. Erm, the Myxo should have the last 10% given intradermally, so that's into the skin.

I don't know if I'm saying things you all ready know, so sorry if I am..

my spirited and gorgeous licky baby boy

I love that description of him! He sounds just adorable!

Make sure the vet gives him a thorough check over before he gives the jabs - nice to know everything's in order.

There shouldn't be any sudden changes, my buns came back after their jabs and didn't seem like they even had them done :)

Sometimes a scab can form where the jab was performed and this is nothing to panic about x

pearl got scabs after the VHD jab, to try to avoid this you should massage the injection site for a couple of minutes a few times on the day/evening of the jab... only found that out after the event, but will be remebering it next time :D

Thanks guys, all good advice. A few weeks ago he had a bunny MOT and everything was very good with his health, but I'm sure they will check him again before giving the jabs as they do that with my other animals as a matter of course.

Yes he is 'spirited' and somewhat crazy ! He runs up to me and grabs tights/trousers in his teeth and pulls very hard backwards to try and 'get rid of them' so that he can lick.

Sometimes after the VHD one they can be off colour for 1 or 2 days so keep an eye on him make sure eating, pooing and drinking.

Bunnie was very quite and off colour on her first ever VHD, but since she been fine with them.:D

the only additional things i ill say is with myxi(often the first one given) need to wait minimum of 14 days between this and vhd. the myxi one needs 10% given into skin this can be done 2 ways the 10% in ear adn rest in scruff of neck or the 10% in the scruff also but done by either doing firts then pushing deeper for rest or doing rest then pulling out for the last bit.assk the vet what they are doing so you know its been administered correctly. vhd is annually and myxi is every 6 months. the vhd can leavea scab and some buns get the cyclap limp its unusual but the vets still wont recognse it as a symptom yet so just be aware it could happen it will usually go in a few days. the myxo one sometimes makes them off their food for a day but they should still be nibbling at stuff just might not eat as much as normal . hope this help s xx

Yes, it does help, huge thanks. He had the myxi this morning and had the last bit (10%) done in an ear. I've made an appt. for 2 weeks time for the VHD. Will beon the lookout for any 'off food' or the other things you mentioned with the VHD. He was very naughty at the vet and scarpered at every opportunoity!

He was very naughty at the vet and scarpered at every opportunoity!

At the vets is often the one time when your bun will dive into your arms for a cuddle!!

One of my buns got a very large scab after his VHD, the size of a 20p coin, which when it came off left a big bare patch :( It has now repaired, but looked very sore for over a week. He didn't seem to worry about it as much as I did though.

At the vets is often the one time when your bun will dive into your arms for a cuddle!!

One of my buns got a very large scab after his VHD, the size of a 20p coin, which when it came off left a big bare patch :( It has now repaired, but looked very sore for over a week. He didn't seem to worry about it as much as I did though.

At the vets it is the only time we ever get to hold Bunnie and have her snuggling into our chest and give her loads of kisses :) of course fantastic for us but she only doing it cos better than being on the big old cold table wanting for a needle:roll::(:D

Oh yeah forgot the limp with the VHD

Back