• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help me decide what to do please?

irish rabbit

New Kit
Hi everyone, I am a newbie to this board although I have lurked for a long time. I work with a rescue based in Ireland that takes in all sorts of animals, big and small. I have had probably 6 or so rabbits come into the rescue before...but my dilema is this....

I just had a house bunny come into the rescue and she is living in my house (since it is too cold now for her to go into the cattery). I have always loved rabbits but this one I have truely fallen head over heels with. :love: She comes up to me and gives me a nudge for stroking on the head, follows me around and gives me a head butt greeting everytime I pass her crate. She is living in a 48 inch dog crate in my son's bedroom and has about 3 hours roam time a day. Now my problem is this, I would LOVE to keep her, but I know that my husband won't let me get another bunny for her to bond too. At least not anytime soon he won't. Working in rescue I do have quiet the zoo here allready. :lol: Would it be unfair of me to keep her, would she be happier if I adopted her out to someone who could get her a bunny friend? House rabbits are not that common here in Ireland- the other bunnies I have adopted out have went to outdoor/hutch homes. I might end up with her for a quiet a long time before she gets an indoor home anyway and in that time I know my son and I will fall even more in love with her.

So what should I do?? I would love to keep her, but I don't want to be unfair to her, she is the sweetest little bunny ever. I would probably be able to get her a bunny friend in the next year at some point.

Any advice would be great!! Oh and she is going for her jabs and spaying very soon.

Thanks!!
Kelly

If she's always lived alone & won't miss company for a while, keep her. You can always nag your husband & get a partner for her a few months down the line:D That's what girls do:D:lol:

i have a house bunny who doesnt have a friend she lives herself with me and she seems fine aslong as u give her lots of love and attention! they dont have to live in pairs as far as i know...:D

My kermit is a lone house bunny....he seems happy enough, he lives in his cage when im at work, then he is out as soon as me or my boyfriend get home and he lazes about the living room.

I would keep her, you seem like a nice caring bunny mummy, and she might not get that elsewhere. She seems to like you as much as you like her too!!

Ivy is a single house bunny - I don't plan on him being single for ever, but her is too little to bond yet, and there is also a bunny I desperately want to adopt if the chance arises :oops: soo as long as you give them the attention love and fuss they would get from another bunny I think it will be fine, In the end your o/h will give in and let you have another - they always do ;)

I also agree that buns can be happy living alone, especially inside, where they get lots of attention :)

I'd keep her - you can always work on your husband in a few months time when he's well and truly fallen in love with her. ;)

If she's always been a lone house bunny she won't know what she's missing and rabbits have far worse happen to them than live alone for a few more months or even permanently in the house and be spoiled by their humans.

Thank you all so much for the advice! And I really had to laugh as it sounds like alot of you have done the nagging/begging until the OH gives in, and here I thought I was the only one who did that!!! :lol: He doesn't stand a chance with both my son and I begging him. ;)

Clover is only about 7 months old right now and has always been a single bunny living inside a house. She does seem very happy, she was even binking this morning for the first time! I was really giggling at her antics. I can't believe how much I have bonded/fallen in love with this sweet little girl. :love:

Thanks again for all the votes to keep her, makes me feel good that I won't be depriving her of a better life. I know that nobody could love her as much as I do allready and she has only been here a week.

oh dear. You sound like you're being sucked in. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

It only gets worse.

I started off with one house bunny 3 years ago at uni and now have 14 and 2 fosters.

Good luck! :D

Awww he sounds lovely, I have a lone house bun, and is is very happy, loves the attention, so I think she will be fine, :)

Back