• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unwanted buns

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
Is it just me or has it gone mad recently? I had a phone call this morning asking if I could take 3 - I couldn't really talk to the lady cos I was driving, but I said I would talk to some rescues.

I had an email yesterday asking if I could take in 3 french lops.

And on Monday my Mum's work colleague wanted me to take her 20 week old female.

I'm already committed to a Nethie female. She already has a home waiting(through a Rescue), but she'll need to be here while she is panacured/spayed/quarantined. Plus I 'm gonna foster one for another Rescue.

Is it just cos the weather is getting cold & people can't be bothered? This winter will actually be the first I've had outdoor buns myself - the 3 dental nethies will be spending outside, although I'm having guilt & thinking about my spare room upstairs:oops::lol:

I physically can't take on the top 7 buns cos my horses will soon be in fulltime & there's garden time issues for my own buns. My number isn't available anywhere, so the people have got my details off someone else!

I think you're probably right about the weather being a factor...I have awful memories of cleaning out in the pitch black, defrosting water bowls twice a day and the pain of having cracked bleeding hands from getting them wet all the time...you've got to be pretty dedicated (or hardcore) to put up with that for 3-4 months every year :(

I wonder if the Credit Crunch has anything to do with it :?
On the local news last night a Dogs Trust Rescue and the PDSA were saying how they had noticed a significant increase in people wanting to sign their Pets over due to lack of money to fund their care :cry:

Good point Jane...could certainly be a consideration in cases of multiple buns.

However I doubt it's the case with single buns because the costs are pretty small once you've bought the housing, unless the rabbit becomes ill

On the local news last night a Dogs Trust Rescue and the PDSA were saying how they had noticed a significant increase in people wanting to sign their Pets over due to lack of money to fund their care :cry:

Yes, but they are still willing to let them breed unchecked. The frenchies I mentioned sound like Breeder's surplus, I KNOW the nethie is (RSPCA has told them to reduce numbers), & the 20 week old female was living with her brothers until Monday.

I was having a minor panic the other day when we were talking on the benefits thread. People were saying that if I ever needed it, the system would be there to back me up. It actually wouldn't. My horses & mortgage alone are £1100 per month. I would last about 8 mins without my job. Plus I would lose my (company) car. I am now on a 3 months notice at work & have increased my mortgage to enable payment holidays if I ever need them.

Anyway. I digress. But I can cos it's my thread:oops::oops::lol::lol::lol:

Sadly I don't think it's anything to do with the credit crunch.

There are some genuine cases of people having to give up much loved pets for no fault of their own..but these are rare
most of the time it's a head-and-brick-wall situation..
like the case I had yestersday..lady has loads of rabbits, all in much too small accomodation, although well fed and clean..she has had 3 unexpected litters due to a neighbour/or her daughter:roll: putting a buck in with the girls..
but although she had all the youngsters sexed by a vet on Friday..when I went to collect some yesterday she had one young buck..along with his almost completely dropped bits..in with a large group of does:evil:
She said "but he can't get the pregnant yet he's too young"

I said " but the equipment is already there"...

so in 4 weeks time she could end up with approx. 60-70 more baby rabbits...

Scarey thought isn't it? :shock:

You wouldn't be entitled to much because you don't have kids.

My O/H is probably going to hear about the future of his job today, so fingers crossed he'll still have one because my salary would just about cover mortgage and the main bills!!!

so in 4 weeks time she could end up with approx. 60-70 more baby rabbits...

Do you ever just want to let them deal with it? I know you have to weigh up the situation for the buns, & you couldn't possibly leave that many as all that would happen would be 60-70 dead baby rabbits, but don't you just wish the owners could just get into as bad a situation as possible, and maybe then they'd see sense?.:shock::cry:

Do you ever just want to let them deal with it? I know you have to weigh up the situation for the buns, & you couldn't possibly leave that many as all that would happen would be 60-70 dead baby rabbits, but don't you just wish the owners could just get into as bad a situation as possible, and maybe then they'd see sense?.:shock::cry:

yep

I told her we wouldn't take anymore..after the other two I'm collecting today for the other rescue....but no doubt I would ..due to worrying about the rabbits.
I have given her loads of advice on neutering and the name of a vet who she could get to quite easily who would do her bucks for £30 each..which is affordable..
Sad thing is she also had a buck there with obvious teeth probs...very runny eyes and dribbling badly:cry:..told her he needs a vet..but round here they'll charge her £65-£80 to do teeth..and doubt she would travel to Gamston:(

so I've been waking up during the night thinking can we take another dental bunny?..we already have one with dental probs coming in next week..:cry:

and..in case some people don't realise.....even rescues have their space and financial limits:cry::cry:

It is very sad cos whatever you do.. you can't save them all...and that is always hard to live with.......

It so frustrating. When I started taking the odd bun in, I was all filled with how I was helping etc, etc, but Rescuing must be the least rewarding thing in the world. For every bun you help, there's 20 more that need it. I am so unbelievably rude to some people now. I would hit me if I spoke to myself like that.

It so frustrating. When I started taking the odd bun in, I was all filled with how I was helping etc, etc, but Rescuing must be the least rewarding thing in the world. For every bun you help, there's 20 more that need it. I am so unbelievably rude to some people now. I would hit me if I spoke to myself like that.

You're helping those individual buns :D

Remember the starfish story that somebody posted ages ago?

This is what I think.... if you are short of money... you will look at ways to cut costs.... for some the animals are the first to go which is really sad :(

The one where it got stamped on??
the one where the little boy was sat on a rock and collecting star fish off the rocks who were stranded adn throwing them back into the sea.... a man came a long and went ot kick one...the little boy stoppe dhim.. the man said why are you bothering you cant save them all it doesnt matter the little boy put the starfish back in the sea and said to this one it does matter.

i think its because of all the money probs people are having and with things so tight people probebly cant afford them now :(

I think theres the honest people, who genuinely cant afford and then theres people who just want rid and make up excuses.

Sorry this is a little off the subject but I'm planning on bonding Hiro and Kiki around December/January time and will have a spare 5ft hutch and run, thinking either to give this away to a bunny rescue (although only heard of Cottontails near me? - I'm in Wiltshire) or fostering a bunny from my home (although haven't mentioned anything to bf yet), and still living with parents..

Does anyone know if there a need for anyone in my area to take on bunnies temporarily?

As I'm only used to small breeds (and as I have a 5ft hutch) do you think it would be okay if I only accepted to take on smaller, easier to handle breeds?

Sorry for the questions, I have recently been thinking about how I can help and how much I enjoy my buns..

The one where it got stamped on??

Sorry....made me giggle! Some times peoples stupidity really does astound and frighten me. I don't understand any situation where animals welfare doesn't come first. Can't people see that breeding heaps of rabbits IS'NT a good idea? Do they think that they'll just magically disappear? (wow...that rhymed!)
I know you guys hear it all the time but I seriously don't know how you cope with people. I've heard it said that its mostly down to ignorance but how can people be so stupid and survive? Bring back Darwin!!!
*goes to kick stuff*

wonder if the Credit Crunch has anything to do with it
On the local news last night a Dogs Trust Rescue and the PDSA were saying how they had noticed a significant increase in people wanting to sign their Pets over due to lack of money to fund their care

Yes, I saw that too, the report about how people can no longer keep their animals. Odd that for some they think of getting rid of their 'beloved' pet, and probably haven't thought of cutting costs on cooking homemade food, using water/lighting/gas more effeciently, laggingpipes, turning down the radiator temps.,having a few less ciggies, alcoholic drinks, walking instead of using the car...or any other of the myriad of cost cutting measures BEFORE chucking the pet out !!

Back