• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Suicidal Rabbit...grrrrr

huppie

Mama Doe
Hello all

My beloved Rambaldi arrived about 10 days ago and is gorgeous but thoroughly suicidal. He jumps higher than I thought rabbits could manage and in the most ridiculous of places. A few days ago he tried to jump onto a table from the floor with no leverage because I was preparing his food. Of course he missed, fell backwards and hit himself on a table next to it. :shock: Things were moved to avoid the trauma again. This morning I found him sitting on the garden chairs we keep in the run - they are full height chairs! How on earth did he get up there? I just watched him walk around for a bit then he tried to jump down but he brained himself again. :shock: He is totally fine but I am not sure how long he will be. Poxy rabbit - I expect him to climb the brick wall next! I think I may have to leave lots of solid objects everywhere to make it easier for him to jump as it seems like he will do it anyway. :roll:

rabbits, who'd have the heart-attack inducing monsters ;)

Emma

I know what you mean - one of mine leapt out of my arms the other week onto concrete :shock:... I was mortified but think my health suffered more than the buns.

I'm sure they do it just to scare us. :shock: Alfie just leaps up and doesn't really think about where he's going to land and the other week he jumped out of his run and head first into the fence. :shock::shock: He was fine afterwards, but I wasn't. :lol::lol:

Last week I found my frenchie on the dining room table! He hadn't used the chairs to get up either as we made sure he couldnt climb on them. He's also just learnt to jump on top of his dog crate and I often find him sitting behind the tv which is on another table :shock:

:lol:

Basically then, rabbits are just cleverer and more agile than we think and we have to get over it - oh dear, I'm not sure I am up to it. At least I know he isn't the only one!

You have given me a heartattack just looking at that... *prays desparately for a slightly less insane bunny*

Emma

most buns can easily jump 3ft!!! :lol:-much more with a run-up and more if they're young uns!!:lol::lol:
(bunny mum to 10yr old Chelsea and 9yr old Sooty) -Sue:wave:

suggest 4ft min for perimeter fence(we have 6ft)

Lotties hutch was three foot high..
When she was speyed i left the lid open, popped out for a bit and she was running around the lounge.

She must have hurt herself, jumping three foot over the top of her hutch and thn for the decent. Especially as she had stitches :S :oops::lol:

Can al bunnies jump taht high but some choose not to? Mine either cant or they're too cautious because they never jump high. I see them sometimes try to get up on something bt they realize its too high for them to get up on without jjumping and they don't..

Well it does depend on a lot of things, the size of the rabbit, the age, how strong their legs are, what sort of personality they have.

I wouldn't trust any rabbit not to jump a low fence, even if they haven't shown any interest in it before. If something spooks them they can suddenly decide that it's the best way to escape.

It also depends on the type of fence. Wire mesh fences can actually be climbed up (well more scrambled up) and so I have no doubt that mine could get over a 4ft wire mesh fence. If it was a plain wood or brick fence/wall however I don't think they could manage 4ft but I'm not sure I would bet on it :lol:

Lily is the same!

If our backs are turned and theres a door even slightly open we find her upstairs pestering our chinchilla!

Last week I found my frenchie on the dining room table! He hadn't used the chairs to get up either as we made sure he couldnt climb on them. He's also just learnt to jump on top of his dog crate and I often find him sitting behind the tv which is on another table :shock:

Exactly the same as my frenchie, he jumps on top of his crate!! it's crazy!! I never knewe they could jump that high!!

I have a little wildx bun who jusmps 3ft6" on to the top of her cage regularly - and jumps down. We've tried blocking her to stop it but she usually finds a way to get up there:roll:

There should be a special word for the bunny leap they do when you pick them up, give them a cuddle and then they suddenly scramble up you and do a suicide leap off your shoulder. Happened in the vets the other day:oops:

I have a little wildx bun who jusmps 3ft6" on to the top of her cage regularly - and jumps down. We've tried blocking her to stop it but she usually finds a way to get up there:roll:

There should be a special word for the bunny leap they do when you pick them up, give them a cuddle and then they suddenly scramble up you and do a suicide leap off your shoulder. Happened in the vets the other day:oops:

ohh iv had those before i think they should be called... bunsus.... lol

The first time Rambaldi did this I screamed for hubby because I was in such a state. Poxy rabbit was fine of course but my heart soooo wasn't:lol:

I wouldn't mind but I am sure it is just his way of getting more attention - the more scary jumps he does the more I check on him to see he is ok:oops::roll:

I look after a friend's rabbits every year for a fortnight and they are total monsters. They can jump higher than 3ft from a standing start - that's vertical!!! They escaped twice last year and this year even though I had raised the fence. I had to build a roof over their pen to keep them in and they watched every time I lifted it to feed them in case I left it off.

Back