• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New to this site and wanting advice urgently

Gemsy

Young Bun
Hi I'm Gemma and I am new to this site. I have 4 bunnies at the mo, sadly Jack my dwarf lop was killed 2 weeks ago by a cat (we think). He lived with his companion Daisy and she was mortified. She was also hurt slightly on her ear, sort of like a claw mark. I cleaned it all up with salt water kept an eye on it and it was fine.
She was really upset the first few days without Jack but towards the mid of the week she seemed to pick up and eat and drink.
However she has gone down hill very quicky - from friday she stopped eating and drinking. By sunday she couldnt even hold her head up. I rang emergency vet and they said to get fluids in her. She was that weak she coukdn't swollow. Took her to the vet monday morning and she was kept in over night with delayed shock.
I picked her up this afternoon and was told that they think its more than just shock as she has a lump on her head above her ear. This has only been there since Sunday.
SHe has picked up a little bit but vet says its 50/50 whether she pulls through.
I am just wondering if anyone else has had any similar situations and if anyone could offer any advice or hope really.
Thanks for reading.

Hi Gemma. Welcome to the forum, but I'm so sorry it's under such sad cicumstances. I wonder if it may have been a fox rather than a cat that attacked your bunnies. Has the vet investigated the lump? Is it near the same ear which had been cut? If so, it's possible that an infection has set in and started an abcess. Did you vet prescribe antibiotics and painkillers?

Thank you for your reply. Yes it is the same ear, vet has given her an antibiotic injection and injected her with fluids as well as feeding her with a recovery mix (which is what I am currently doing with her).
I have to ring vets in the morning to let them know how she is, but I shall mention the lump again as I think she might need somemore antibiotics.
We really don't know if it was a cat or fox.
I am so worried about her, loosing Jack was bad enough (almost a year to they day since i lost my 3 bunnies to mxysi) so to loose her as well would be unbareable.

yes she is in got to keep her warm. she is trying to hop about a bit which is good considering she couldnt hold her head up.

That's good. Let her hop about as it may help with her appetite. Is she eating and drinking? Is she weeing and pooing normally?

She has had 3 wees (one on me :roll:) and has had a few poos. Shes trying to hop every now and then but after a few hops she just falls to one side poor girl.

Does she normally drink from a bottle? Have you tried a bowl. What about trying to tempt her with some of her favourite treats. Mine go ape for Adsa malted mini shreddie things, and porridge oats. Soak about a tsp of ats in boiling water and let it cool..most buns seem to like porridge(don't add the cream and sugar though!:lol::lol:)

Last edited:
a bottle, shes not interested in anything, her fav treats, water. She will take some water if i help her with the bottle, not much though.

See edited post above..that should read "oats", not ATS:lol: Try leaving a bowl of water down for her anyway. Poorly buns often find using a bottle too much of an effort.

good luck with nursing her. She sounds like she's in good hands. Sorry for the loss of Jack too.

I agree with Capel and think it may be a nasty abscess on her head. that would explain why she doesn't want to lift her head. Maybe a very shallow bowl with water may tempt her to drink as she won't have to use too many muscles (her jaw and muscles around the area are prob very painful if it is an abscess on her head).

I would ask the vet about it tomorrow morning and if he is not sure maybe ask to see a more rabbit experienced vet.
An antinflammatory like metacam will help the pain/inflammation too so ask about that aswell.

Sounds like you are doing all you can for her at home :D

Really hope she pulls through, let us know how she gets on :)

You are doing absolutely everything you can at the moment. Good luck with the chat with your vet tomorrow. Sending vibes for your bunster. Please keep us updated.

If that is an infection caused by a cat, there is no way the bacteria can move that fast. So this is unusual. Godspeed to a healthy healing on your bun

Just a little update, Daisy is just the same really, she managed to have a bit of food (with me giving it her off a spoon) and has had a bit of water with help from me. She is still too weak to do it herself. She is also grinding her teeth quite a lot.
Anyway I am taking her back to the vet at 11 as I'm not happy with her progress, the lump is worrying me and I'm worried incase she is in pain.
Will let you know how she gets on.

Hi gemma. Tooth grinding is a sign of severe pain. I'm glad she's back at the vet shortly as she'll need pain relief. Sending vibes.

Really? My poor girl. I would have thought the vet would have have give her pain relief as they new she was grinding her teeth!
Shall keep you updated, thank you for your kind words.

Back