• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spaying

louise1

Mama Doe
Was not very keen on getting my rabbit spayed as i see this as unecessary stress and if she doesnt need it then i dont realy want to put her through this big op. is it really necessary to have this done?:?

Hi

If you want your bunny to have a long and happy life please spay her.

I had all my bunnies spayed except my last one, as like you, I thought all the advice about 80% of female bunnies getting ovarian cancer was a ploy to stop unscruplulous owners letting their bunnies have unwanted litters. However, six months ago she started passing blood, I took her to the vets who diagnosed an ovarian tumour. She was immediately spayed and, thankfully, she has fully recovered and is now fit and well.

So yes I wouldn't risk it.

Best wishes

Bunty

I was like you and didn't want to risk an op, that was until I lost big, beautiful Bertha to uterine cancer,by the time she was diagnosed it had spread to her lungs and she had to be PTS. She hid the symptoms so well, it was too late to save her. I am now working through the rest of the bunnies getting them spayed.

We spay every healthy female that comes into the rescue and several have had their lives saved / lengthened by the removal of ovarian tumours that we had no idea were there.

a short spell of stress is much better than a horrible disease that she could develop if you dont get her spayed.
With lots of love and attention she will be fine

yes its essential 85% of female buns die from this if not speyed. i have lost a bun to it and it was horrible it was too late to save her :(

o.k ill defo get it done for her shes only 12 weeks so ill need to book her in for her mxyi jab and all talk to the vet then

Back