• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help

vickyslip

New Kit
hi i am new to this site and i am an owner of 5 rabbits
for a week now i can been searching the net and questioning what i have done
i came across my mummy rabbit who had 3 little babies of 4 weeks old with boil like things on her eyes and swolen bits immediately i panicked and went to the vets , i was told they thought it was early stages of myxi , i only had her 5 weeks before and then suddenly she had babies and could not myxi her so i tried all i could to keep her and babies safe , any way they said it was early stages of myxi and best thing to do for her was to say good bye so i did , leaving me with 3 babies to bring up , however every day i think to myself did i di the right thing as it was early she was still eating etc but on advice from vet i gave hr up and now im doubting i done the right thing i miss her like crazy and a kick myself constantly thinking i have done the wrong thing , i am also constantly worried that the babies have it too ,,,,, did i do wrong by just accepting the vet saying it was myxi should i have waited etc im so beating myself up you wont believe , i have constant reminder of her as one of her babies is a spit of her although she has 2 ears unlike sooty who only had the one , any advice would be very much appreciated

If she had never been vaccinated she had virtually no chance of survival so I wouldn't worry that you did the right thing.

I don't know how likely it is that the babies will have it but I hope that all goes well.

The incubation period for myxi is normally 3 to 7 days so if the babies don't show signs after this then they probably won't have it. There is no point beating yourself up as she would probably not survived anyway and you have not let her suffer.

unvaccinated rabbits with myxi rarely survive i have only ehard of 2 tho maybe others on here know of more. however with the vaccination done correctly and every 6 months they can pull through(chelsea did last year) i would see how the babie are going it is hard to hand rear if they do show signs and arent vaccinated then it is unlikely that a bun will sruvive and pts is usually the best and kindest option once babies are old enough get them vacc. and if they do ever contract it then you can fight for their survival...it takes 14days for the vaccs to gain its full immunity and this lasts for 6 months though rabbits may still get myxi from biting insects they then get the less severe nodular form.

hi they are old enough to be injected on sunday so the first thing i am going to do is get them done ........ they seem really healthy and full of life i have kept them indoors since there mum under full supervision i must admit they have become suchlittle sweethearts and seem to come running to me for cuddles not just food thank you for all your replies

Back