• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting in cat litterbox.. clumping cat litter dangerous?

William

Wise Old Thumper
My rabbit is getting in my cat's litterbox and playing around in it. i've turned it around to where its facing a wall and makes it harder for Izzy to get in but my cat still can. obvisiously i dont want him in the litterpan for santiary reasons but if he eats the clumping cat litter would it clump inside him and possibly kill him? I've had battles before with him getting an obession with my cat's litterpan so i had to put a board in front of the hole to the litterpan and open it when my cat needed to pee/poop. That was very annoying for both me and my cat though.ANything i can do?

My rabbit is getting in my cat's litterbox and playing around in it. i've turned it around to where its facing a wall and makes it harder for Izzy to get in but my cat still can. obvisiously i dont want him in the litterpan for santiary reasons but if he eats the clumping cat litter would it clump inside him and possibly kill him? I've had battles before with him getting an obession with my cat's litterpan so i had to put a board in front of the hole to the litterpan and open it when my cat needed to pee/poop. That was very annoying for both me and my cat though.ANything i can do?

yes it is dangerous for rabbits...why not change to a wood based cat litter this is safe for buns x

And seeing as cats are more agile than buns can you not put it somewhere he can't reach it - I can't imagine consuming / playing with cat faeces will do him any good what-so-ever :?

Is it possible that your bunny just loves being able to dig? Would providing a digging box deter him from going into the litterbox? I put my cat's box in the bathroom and close the door. The cat calls me when she needs to go. :)

my cat has to have clumping cat litter.. mom wont let me use anything else. and my cat (KItty) wont leave my bedroom unless she's thristy, hungry, or has to go to the litterpan so if i leave my door cracked she goes into the bathroom outside my room and my family has a fit because she fights with the other cats and she lets my ducks out of my room.

I never thought of Izzy just wanting to dig :shock:
He does love to dig. I'll give him a cardboard box full of something to dig in... but what?

I reckon I've misunderstood your post..your cat is confined to you room, where you also keep ducks? If that's the case, and she's happy to let you have ducks in there, what's your mum's problem with cat litter? The obvious solution is to put the litter try somewhere high where the cat can jump but the rabbit can't.

There's really no choice about my ducks being in my room.. they go outdoors under supervision for part of the daytime though and if it were my mom's choice she wouldn't let me have them indoors but i don't think she wants their deaths on her conscience. They don't make that big of a mess.. If they both had diapers on or if I had a wood floor they wouldn't make a mess at all.. its all my cat's choice to stay in my room though. If I close my door and put her out in the hall (like I do when I let my budgies out) she cries. My mom thinks any other type of litter is a waste because it has to be cleaned so often. With clumping litter you can just scoop the pee/poop out a few times a day.

There isn't anywhere I can put my cat's litterpan up high. Its rather big and won't fit on shelves or anything. As a last resort I'll take the litterpan out and have my cat go in the bathroom to use the litterbox(which is outside my room so Kitty won't be very happy).

What should I use to make a dig box for Izzy? Newspaper shreds? Soil from outside?

I've got alot.. 11 cats, 5 dogs, 14 ducks, 15 budgies, 2 tiels, 2 lovebirds, 2 rabbits, 2 hamsters, 1 turtle, and lots of fish and turtles in a large pond in the backyard. My bedroom is pretty big. It mostly consists of empty cages and animals though. Only furniture i have is a bunkbed and a desk (also have a dresser and another desk but i'm getting rid of them to fit more animal''s soon :lol: )

wow check you out, must take you ages feeding and cleaning everyday, or you a rescuer or is it just a love for some many? ;)

I wish. In the last 2 yrs that I've been on forums my dad has procrastinated about letting me post pics (the pics are all downloaded to his pc and I need him to show me how to do it and need him to get on his pc) :evil:

wow check you out, must take you ages feeding and cleaning everyday, or you a rescuer or is it just a love for some many?

Yeah, most of them are rescues :)
I have it down to a science on all teh feeding/watering/cleaning/Playtime, etc :lol: only takes about 45 mins to wash/scrub/dry 9 bird pans. takes about 1 and 1/2 hrs to pick up dirty newspaper, vacuum entire bedroom, put down fresh newspaper, water and feed Dill n Will and Izzy. ugh, if i had a wood floor (which HAS to be in less than 6 months or I'll go insane) i could just wipe up my duck's poo whenever i see any on the floor and i wouldnt have to put down newspaper or vacuum.. :love:

I wish. In the last 2 yrs that I've been on forums my dad has procrastinated about letting me post pics (the pics are all downloaded to his pc and I need him to show me how to do it and need him to get on his pc) :evil:

Yeah, most of them are rescues :)
I have it down to a science on all teh feeding/watering/cleaning/Playtime, etc :lol: only takes about 45 mins to wash/scrub/dry 9 bird pans. takes about 1 and 1/2 hrs to pick up dirty newspaper, vacuum entire bedroom, put down fresh newspaper, water and feed Dill n Will and Izzy. ugh, if i had a wood floor (which HAS to be in less than 6 months or I'll go insane) i could just wipe up my duck's poo whenever i see any on the floor and i wouldnt have to put down newspaper or vacuum.. :love:

could yo umake them an outdoor pen with a shed to go into at night? im sure duckys would be happy outside and it would save you a lot of mess plus you must have a huge bedroom to give all those animals the amount of space they need...not doubting you jsut saying. i assume the buns have large pen or have free access to the room too how well do they get on with the ducks?

could yo umake them an outdoor pen with a shed to go into at night? im sure duckys would be happy outside and it would save you a lot of mess plus you must have a huge bedroom to give all those animals the amount of space they need...not doubting you jsut saying. i assume the buns have large pen or have free access to the room too how well do they get on with the ducks?

No, that's really impossible and my ducks would be miserable (especially Dill because she's imprinted on me and thinks she's a human and i'm her mother so she follows me everywhere and quacks when i'm not near her). Plus there would AlWAYS be the chance they get eaten by raccoons/foxes, etc no matter how secure the shed were (raccoons are smart, ive heard of them turning the doorknobs on duck sheds so they have to put a lockon them) and I'm not letting that happen. I've made alot of bad dicisions in my life that I really regret and i have no doubt this would be one too. They do get time outside everyday. At least 7 hrs.. and I'm worried sick they'll get eaten by a hawk or something when they are outside. I can't wait till my dad builds a huge pen for them in the daytime!

My buns get along fine with them. If they get too close the ducks hiss at them and the buns back off. my ducks used to be like that to my cat too but now they're best friends (and Dill even preens Kitty and Kitty will rub them while purring :lol: ) so i'm sure that soon they won't mind the rabbits sitting next to them, they just need to get used to them :)

Gosh thats alot of animals in one room :shock: you must have a big room i couldn't imagine getting 2 ducks in my bedroom let alone that lot :lol: i'd try to persuade your mum to get the other litter or put it high up like the others suggest ;) just out of interest how old are you and where are you coz we don't have racoons here ;)

I'm 16. I live in Southern US.

ANyone know what i could make a dig box with for Izzy? I was thinking about 1 cardboard box full of newspaper strips and another with dirt from outside.. I don't know if that would be safe though?

Hello, I have boxes that my bunnies dig through. they espeically like long ones like a burrow size. They bite and tear the cardboard. They did bite into a box I had of shredded paper and loved being inside with all the paper, but I felt a bit scared of them not getting enough air!
When I had a box of dirt they threw it all over the place. So I set up a tray upright on one side so when they kicked it up it went onto the other tray and fell back down into the pot. I think it will take some trying out to see what works for your bunnies and what they are interested in. The dirt should be safe though (so long as there aren't any bulbs or hidden things from teh garden that may be poisonous to them), and shredded paper or boxes are safe, too. so long as they don't get completely buried in it. Good luck.

Back