• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Agressive rabbit.

Rabbiting on

Warren Scout
Hi, my adult male has started to be agressive with one of my 5mo rabbits lately. He will chase him around the garden, untill the poor wee one is worn out!

I think this all started from when the younger males were maturing, when they started to spray. They have been neutered now and dont spray but the problem is still going on.

I have 2 5mo boys and the adult male only chases one, but is fine with the other?

Also my adult female will chase my 5mo female in a similar way.

Whats going on?

Sorry if I have missed this but are all the rabbits neutered now?
Including the agressive one, if so how long ago did you get them done?

If neutering was within the last 8 weeks, the boys hormones may not have settled yet. Also you have a lot of other buns - are they any nearby? The sight & smell of all the females (especially hormonal just given birth ones) could well be upsetting them & causing them to fight.

Also a while ago you said they were a bonded group, so the upset of moving them around/splitting up etc could cause a scuffle (I know cos it happened with my own bonded group of 9)

Yes all of the males have been done now, 3 of them. The adult was done 5 weeks ago now, the boys about 3. The females are due to be spayed.

He never acted like this before and the chasing is getting more intence, the little one just runs away so there's no fighting, just mad chasing.

Come to think of it the adult male is very protective of the younger female. Maybe this is why the mother is also chasing her?

I really dont understand why he is doing this? He has stoped mounting, and spraying, all of the boys have. He has even stoped chasing my cats.

He also does not show agression in any other way, just with the chasing of one of the boys.

Surely he would chase them both if he felt them a threat?

you'll often get one bun trying to be boss. My honey is loved up to sooty, but the other girl Rosie does get chased. If your girl is unspayed that could be contributing to the problem. I'd get your girl spayed asap and after a week put them into a neutral area, about 6ft square for a couple of days to see if that helps them rebond. A car journey together also works wonders.

Yes all of the males have been done now, 3 of them. The adult was done 5 weeks ago now, the boys about 3. The females are due to be spayed.

Come to think of it the adult male is very protective of the younger female. Maybe this is why the mother is also chasing her?

If the adult male was only done 5 weeks ago & is already living with females of spaying age, you risk (more) pregnancies.

I would recommend atleast six weeks for his hormones to die down, some take longer. I know that Alfie took quite a while before he stopped nipping Lottie.

The females will also need speying as soon as possible, as they become more agressive than males, their hormones will kick in and you will probably have a very grumpy bunny on your hands. The sooner the better. I got Lottie done at 5 months old, because she is quite a big bun, she didnt get a chance to be moody.

Why are people telling me things I already know re spaying and the after neuter separation time?

Is anyone going to actually give me some good advice about this and what to do?

Thanks to the people that have.

And by the way I also have cats which have all been neutered/ spayed and not one of them has had kittens. I know the importance of it -so please stop boaring me with the repitance in every topic.

The bottom line is that rabbits don't necessarily live happily in large groups. They CAN live in harmony this way, but you have to be prepared to split them into smaller groups if needed. The group dynamics may have been upset if rabbits were taken out for neutering or had litters, especially if they were out for any length of time then put back in.

Thats what I dont get though, they all share the same pen and all play in the same garden, they used to be fine.

Maybe with the arrival of the kits is causing the male to be like this?

My female is getting booked in for this month but obviously the other female cant be done for another 6 weeks nearly. He is also very protective over her.

Why are people telling me things I already know re spaying and the after neuter separation time?

Because despite being told about fertility on numerous occasions over the last few months..you still have put a newly neutered male in with unspeyed does.
There is a limit to people's understanding of "accidental" litters

and re the behaviour..its his hormones

Is anyone going to actually give me some good advice about this and what to do?

Thanks to the people that have.

My original answer on your thread was to the question you originally asked - which you clearly ignored, cos further in this thread you asked it as a question.

I keep insisting on giving you neutering advise every time you post cos you have had 3 "accidental" litter & clearly haven't a clue what you are doing:D I know you are "26 & not some stupid child".

Ahem.

Please dont post if you are just going to be rude, there is no point in that.

If anyone wants to give advice thats welcome, but there is no point in banging on about the same things. Or posting stupid smilies, why post at all.

Is this going to happen in every thread I do cos Im getting fairly sick of this now. I cant change whats already happened.

I know you can't changed what has already happened..but you keep repeating it..
as in you have put a newly neutered buck in with un speyed does...
and your original question has been answered on this thread..:?

Back