• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello - from Notting Hill

Norma

New Kit
Hi there, I'm Norma. Until last Friday I lived with 2 houserabbis but sadly at lunchtime Little Wilbur died at the vets having his routine dental operation. I don't know if anyone here knows about or has views on the late Peter Gurney's method of doing dentals without an anaesthetic but from the bottom of my heart I wish that vets were taught this.

Anyway, although it appears that I joined this forum some time ago (it told me that when I tried to register!) I am now going to find the bit where one can seek rabbits as although I am still mourning Little Wilbur (I'm sure many here understand what that's like) Hetty, who remains with me, would I think prefer life with a new husbun.

Good wishes,

Norma

Hello Norma.

I am sorry that we meet under such sad circumstances. I am very sad that your bunny has gone to the bridge.

Luckily for me, I have had to have very few visits to my vet for dentals; despite them all coming from rescues or as strays, we seem to be able to keep their teeth healthy with their vast amounts of hay. Lucky for us.

I am pleased to have a very good bunny vet who prefers to do his dentals without chemical restraint where possible. He uses a dental gag and this works very well for the majority of rabbits he sees (and he sees a lot). There are of course times when he can't perform conscious dentals e.g. buns with no front teeth as the gag can't be used in these situations.

On the subject of finding a friend for your lady - there are many on the rabbitrehome site but I could certainly recommend little Bramley, who we have just tried with our lady Sally. Sadly she didn't bond with him (no fault of his). He comes from ARC - Animal Rescue and Care based around Twickenham. He's been with us indoors whilst with Sally and I think he'd actually make a very good house bun. http://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/animals.asp?i=1772

Once again, sorry for your loss and I do hope that you'll find your lady bunny a friend as soon as she's ready.

Helen

dentals

Little Wilbur had to have regular dentals because he had an abscess around 3 1/2 years ago and no amount of hay would stop the upper teeth from growing into the gap where the missing teeth were.

He was also reluctant to eat hay - the only one he loved was the timothy hay first leafy cut from Alfalfa King - which is due in a few weeks.

I do, I assure you, know that rabbits need lots of hay!

Sorry - that sounds rude - but I am rather raw at the moment.

My local vet referred me to a good vet in Harold Wood but if I had known right at the beginning what I know now I would have searched out a vet like yours. Who is he?

It would have been difficult to get to Twickenham from where I live but I would have done it.

Hetty is around 5 - she was found in a box in Haringay - and I would like a bun of around the same age as her. She is on daily Metacam for what the vet thinks is probably internal adhesions which caused her problems until this got sorted out. Unlike Little Wilbur she will eat hay usually none stop but there is a possibility that the meloxicam may shorten her life by damaging her kidneys.

She is a housebunny - they have the run of the kitchen, hall and living room. They usually have the spare room and my bedroom too. There is a balcony where I grow grass for them and occasionally I take them downstairs to a patch of communal garden though Little Wilbur usually settled down and waited to come back. I get them wild food from the canal bank when I can and there is more hay around my flat than you get in a barn. The balcony door is open all day and night during the summer and during the day in the autumn and spring.

So the new bun would be a housebunny. Obviously the definitive decision will be Hetty's - she chose Little Wilbur when I took him up to the local rescue centre and was determined to love and honour him from the moment she met him though he took a little while longer to be sure that he had made it clear he was the boss. She made him very, very happy. I suspect she may become a little more dominant now he is gone ( I am finding that very hard to accept).

Back