• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny FOO FOO is sick!!

mckenz1030

New Kit
Two days ago my bunny decided to stop eating drinking or ppoping. I read about gi stasis but my vet seems to believe he has a parasite and gave him baytril. we have only taken two does...how long will it take before he starts acting normal again? I am afraid he isnt going to make it long enough for the antibiotic to take effect. I am watering him through a syringe but he seems worse not better.

Whe your vet mentioned a parasite did he elaborate at all? Did he mention Coccidiosis or Encephalitozoon Cuniculi?

Were you given any painkiller or gut stimulant?

Did the vet check his teeth and rule out any bloating?

Bunny Foo Foo

My vet did his neutering about two months ago and he did check his teeth and the bloating and he didnt say anything about what type of parasite it was. It was almost like he wasnt sure what was wrong so he tried an antibiotic. I feel so sorry for him and I dont know what to do. He didnt give him anything for pain.

My vet did his neutering about two months ago and he did check his teeth and the bloating and he didnt say anything about what type of parasite it was. It was almost like he wasnt sure what was wrong so he tried an antibiotic. I feel so sorry for him and I dont know what to do. He didnt give him anything for pain.

Unfortunately Baytril has a reputation for being a bit of a 'cure all' and a lot of vets will use it in rabbits when they don't have a clue whats actually wrong.

In any case of GI stasis, related to a parasite or not, painrelief such as Metacam and a gut stimulant such as Metaclopromide are absolute MUSTS. Antibiotics should be used with caution in rabbits with GI upsets due to their unwanted side effects on the gut flora. They should also be used alongside probiotics.

Baytril has no proven effect in the treatment of Coccidia OR EC, so unless a bacterial infection like mucoid enteritis is suspected it seems a lost cause. I can't think of any other parasites your vet could be referring too.

I would call your vets again as soon as possible and if you don't get a convincing explanation look elsewhere for a rabbit savvy veterinarian. I'm sure someone on here in your area can help you find one.

Sorry can't give any advice Im still getting to know the science behind rabbits, but I send big hugs and hope Foo Foo gets better real soon, the only thing I have to say I would'nt be happy with a diagnosis like that, I agree with trying to find a different vet. Hope all works out XX

How is Bunny Foo foo today? If hes still not eating, drinking or pooing get him to another vat immediately or ask to see the head vet. Your bun should have been given pain relief & some sort of probiotic. Unfortunately your profile doesnt say whereabouts you live which makes it difficult for someone to know if they live near you & therefore cannot refer you to their vet. Its always worth stating what couunty your in to give others some idea. If youre anywhere near Herts pm me & I'll give you the name & address of my vet. Hes great with buns

hi i would try and get some biolapis for him which is a probiotic will counteract the bad affects of the baytril. i woudl get him on metacam which is an anti inflammatry and pain relief this will help you oculd also try infacol. if you are worried about foood passing thorough and there being a blockage you could try some fresh pinapple juice it is important for gut to keep moving try getting some vegatable baby food or fruit one and feewing it warm on a son or by syringe... also can try mashiung his [ellets or dried food with warm water this sometimes gets them to eat..try fresh herbs anddandilions too good luck xx if you state your location we can hopefully offer up a good rabbit savvy vet in your area?

Just wondering how your bun is doing? :? Hope he has improved and that you've found a rabbit savvy vet, or got a better explanation from your vet...
x

Two days ago my bunny decided to stop eating drinking or ppoping. I read about gi stasis but my vet seems to believe he has a parasite and gave him baytril. we have only taken two does...how long will it take before he starts acting normal again? I am afraid he isnt going to make it long enough for the antibiotic to take effect. I am watering him through a syringe but he seems worse not better.

There isant any runny poos is there or did the vet menton EC,ask the vet as to which parasite,rick

Back