• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My poor Sammy has EC

bigfootcookie

Young Bun
I fed all 5 of our buns yesterday morning, and all was fine. We went out for a few hours, and when we came back home I went to feed them their veg's. Sammy was looking very strange with his head twisted to one side and his balance seemed to be all over the toast. He was still eating, pooing and drinking OK, but did not look his normal self at all.
We got him to the vets as soon as possible today, and it was bad news. He has got E.C and also had nystygmus (flickering eye), and had to have a steroid injection straight away to try and reduce the swelling on his brain.

He has started on a course of Panacur and seems to have perked up already as the steroids start to work, but his head is severely tilted still although his balance looks to have improved. There has been tears all around in the house tonight as I had to be truthful with the kids regarding what may happen if he stops eating and we have to deal with stasis as well, but for now that doesn't seem to be an issue at the moment.
We are all really upset, as Sammy is a really placid boy who never gives us any bother and always does as he is told, and then he comes down with this. Unfortunately I think my kids have had their eyes opened rather rudely that life isn’t always fair, and can actually be a load of S**te at times.

As anyone had a bunny recover from a severe head tilt caused by E.C?

Last edited:
Awww hun I'm so sorry to hear that Sammy isn't well. Thankfully I've never had a bun suffer with head tilt (touch wood I won't), but you're in my thoughts & sending Sammy lots of vibes, a big & nose rub for him to get better xxx

Back