• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

think smudgey has poor sight

lilminxlou

Mama Doe
hiya :wave: sorry if this is in the wrong section but it is due to her behaviour im thinking that smudgey has poor sight. my boys can see me coming a mile off and are instantly up on their hinds and jumping round to get my attention whereas smudgey is against her bars sniffing because she knows summin is goin on. she will stand there and if i stroke her nose she will jump or if i open her hutch door she will run off which i think is because the sudden noise. is there any way i can see if there is a problem or should i take her to the vets? like any home tests? its just because she attacks the boys i think its cos she cant see them coming and gumpy did start fighting with her at first. i just want to know what the problem is because i want to fix it. it could be that or her confidence. and she hasnt been spayed..... YET :lol:

:wave: Does she have red eyes or a red 'tint' to her eyes?

Does she ever sit and sway her head very gently from side to side?

umm ive never noticed her sway her head. and no her eyes are brown. i just had her now and the o/h is making a noise in the kitchen instead of listening and looking she was kind of swaying her head as if testing which ear could hear better

Does she move her head slowly from side to side, struggle to see things when they are up close to her or occasionally walk/run into objects? These are things rabbits that struggle to judge distances often do.

Chestnut brown eyed rabbits are also prone to sight problems along with REWs.

Does she move her head slowly from side to side, struggle to see things when they are up close to her or occasionally walk/run into objects? These are things rabbits that struggle to judge distances often do.

Chestnut brown eyed rabbits are also prone to sight problems along with REWs.

yep she has brown eyes. yep she has walked into things that gumps has jumped over and i think she struggles to see things like if shes sniffing my finger then i stroke her she jumps all startled. if its food its hard to tell cos she just eats it fine lol

so do you think she is poor sighted or just lacking confidence? what can i do to make her life better? i guess thats the next step right?

so do you think she is poor sighted or just lacking confidence? what can i do to make her life better? i guess thats the next step right?

It sounds like she may have poor sight to me and has trouble judging distances because I have and have had bunnies with eye issues that acted like this.

My vet performed some stimuli tests on one of the buns, paige, to see if she had any problems and it was simple things like how close you can get your finger to her eye (avoiding whiskers, it's tricky) before she notices and moving something reflective about her in a circle to see where and when she clocks it.

The best thing to help build their confidence is to aways speak gently when you approach, approach on their level and not from above & never come at them head on (rabbits have a blind spot directly infront of their face) but from the side. Keeping objects in the same place will help her learn where they are and try to avoid letting her near anything with sharp edges or corners.

It sounds like she may have poor sight to me and has trouble judging distances because I have and have had bunnies with eye issues that acted like this.

My vet performed some stimuli tests on one of the buns, paige, to see if she had any problems and it was simple things like how close you can get your finger to her eye (avoiding whiskers, it's tricky) before she notices and moving something reflective about her in a circle to see where and when she clocks it.

The best thing to help build their confidence is to aways speak gently when you approach, approach on their level and not from above & never come at them head on (rabbits have a blind spot directly infront of their face) but from the side. Keeping objects in the same place will help her learn where they are and try to avoid letting her near anything with sharp edges or corners.

thankyou sooz. yeah she seems fine when im talking to her then as soon as i open the door cos the bolt makes a sudden noise she darts off

you oculd pop her to the vet to se if they can have a look with an instrument sounds like she scans adn has poor vision. buns with poor vision do seem to manage ok(im curenlty fostering stitch who has one eye which as poor vision in it) he bumps into stuff a bit and runs in circles when excited.. he scans too i would let her have noisy toys adn taljk to her as you approach her try rattling her food when you bring it to her and try ansureing she knows you are therer try not to move her "home" around to much and the bumping should decrease xx

you oculd pop her to the vet to se if they can have a look with an instrument sounds like she scans adn has poor vision. buns with poor vision do seem to manage ok(im curenlty fostering stitch who has one eye which as poor vision in it) he bumps into stuff a bit and runs in circles when excited.. he scans too i would let her have noisy toys adn taljk to her as you approach her try rattling her food when you bring it to her and try ansureing she knows you are therer try not to move her "home" around to much and the bumping should decrease xx

thanks she only ever bumped into things when she was out with the boys but funnily enough she still managed to jump onto the sofa. i just want to know whether its behaviour problems i need to deal with or physical problems. but i will deffo pop her into the vets

Back