• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why Do Vaccinated Buns Get Myxi?

kayjay

Warren Veteran
I'm curious with more cases coming up as to why vaccinated rabbits still get myxi??

Is the vaccine not as effective as it should be? My rabbit MJ is overdue for his, but due to a problem with his general health, snuffles, and messy bum, the vet recommended leaving it for now. But obviously I'm worried about him getting myxi. But when I come on here, lots of vaccinated rabbits are getting it. I know it's less serious in vaccinated rabbits, but can someone explain to me why they get it? Are we all vaccinating our rabbits thinking they are protected when in fact they are not??

I think nodular myxi is a slightly different strain, but I'm sure someone will correct me :lol:
I think you are correct.Modular myxi Isent as virulent as normal myxi so is treatable.I would get your buns vaccinated every 6 months at the moment as myxi is still rampant in this country.Better to be safe than sorry

:wave: They myxi vaccine is not actually made from myxomatosis virus, it's made from another very similar called shope fibroma. It therefore relies on the bun developing an immunity similar enough to 'recognise' myxi if it comes into contact. It's therefore not 100% effective but it's effective enough to make it well worthwhile vaccinating - as you can see from the nodular cases, many of them are mild and the vast majority recover, whereas if they hadn't been vaccinated they would probably just about all die :cry: And we don't know how many vaccinated buns come into contact with myxi but don't develop any symptoms - but unvaccinated buns again, will die :cry:

Your bun also has a better chance of survival if 0.1ml of the myxi vaccine is given intradermally rather than all just by injection, the data sheet says that this gives better protection so please make sure your vet does this :)

Thanks Alison, I didn't realise the vaccine wasn't made from myxi.

I'm a bit worried about giving it to MJ as he's not 100% well at all. He has a runny nose, snuffly, but no infection apparent. So I'm concerned that giving him his myxi will compromise his immune system and make a snuffly nose turn into full blown snuffles. Wish I knew what to do for best :(

Opal's due soon, so I might take both of them and get the vet's advice.

The vaccination relies on the immune response from the rabbit. If he's already fighting another infection then even if he was vaccinated he probably wouldn't develop the antibodies anyway. That's why vets are meant to give health checks prior to giving vaccs :)

Tamsin, thanks for your reply. That's what I'm thinking. The vet wouldn't give his myxi last time I went, about 6 weeks ago now, due to his runny nose. He has improved since then but I'd still say he's only 70% better. Is it worth risking him getting myxi when he's not vaccinated, or is it worth risking giving him his vaccination and possibly it (a) not working and (b) compromising his immune system anyway :?

How is myxi spread? Is it by midges? Cos we have hundreds of them around for some reason, yet another worry!

Yep, spread by biting insects so midges could carry it.

It's a difficult one cos you'll kick yourself if he does catch it but you'll kick yourself if it makes him worse. I don't think there's a right answer.

You could try mosquito netting and sticky fly strips to minimise the risk.

Tamsin

Back