• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone know the adverage weight for a Lionhead?

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Casper has weighed in at 1.2kg and vet has advised he could do with a bit more coverage on his ribs. He is a fussy hay eater and I'm worried if I increase his pellets his hay consumsion will drop even more.

How under weight is he?

Thanks. My OH worried me as he thinks I starve the buns but all my other buns are very healthy sizes, in fact my vet normally praises me for it.

Lionheads vary a great deal in size because the breed is still being standardised. It might be worth not going on what others lionheads weigh, but on what your vet says.

Maybe you could give him some rolled oats in with him pellets because that wouldn't increase the volume much, but it can be good for putting on and holding on weight.

I have two lionheads.. Bailey is 1.5 ish, and Alyssa is just below 2kg. I think there is a massive variation with this as alot are crosses not pure breed.

Thanks Sky. How much would you give him?

He is bonded but Autumn is a healthy size and isn't over zelous with her food so I don't think she's stealing it all.

I'd introduce the oats as you would any new food, so just a small amount and then increase it. It might be that you need to separate them at food times so you can monitor what he eats. It might be he is trying to eat but maybe he has spurs or something, so he struggles, or he eats but it falls out his mouth or something.

He's definately eating, in fact I'm most surprised as he's always first in at the food bowl. I've had his teeth checked anyway and there are no problems there.

Back