• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Barney - bad news :o( UPDATE 6.20pm - Hes gone xXx

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Barney had to go back for a check-up today at 2.30 so the vet could check the open wounds from his dental were healing etc. It was the vet who did the op, she really wanted to put barney to sleep today :cry: :cry:

She says his teeth were so bad that on the left hand side at the top his jaw is only been held together by a thread, the roots are all hanging or something as they were so rotten. She said their is now a big hole in his jaw, which is easily going to get infected. However, shes not willing to treat him as she says hes already very underweight, and the jaw is too badly damaged. This is the reason she gave for him being PTS today. However, i refused and said i'd take him home today and see how he goes :( She wasnt pleased with this as she said the outlook for him isnt good at all. She is normally a very good bunny vet and ive had no problems with her in the past.

I really want to get a second opinion from another vet, are we being cruel by doing this? Are we holding onto strings and hoping to the best? Im really upset as ive had him out everyday while down mums and being giving him his baytril etc. Mum is also upset :cry: :cry:

She hasnt sent him home with any pain relief or baytril though i do have enough baytril left for tonight and maybe tomorrow.

What do you advice... please be honest :cry: xXx

Forgot to add: Hes just sitting there in the corner of his cage as he has been the last few days. When he goes in the run he just sits there huddled up. He is eating and drinking xXx

Last edited:
Oh no poor boy!

I think as there is no hope of solving the problem I would let him go :cry: :cry: I don't really believe in keeping a bun going on painkillers etc when there is no long term hope, but if he is still happy and enjoying life maybe wait a bit longer. It is a decision only you can make and everyone has opinions on what is a good quality of life. SO sorry you are having to go through this :cry:

I cant comment on the PTS issue, that is something only you can decide.
But he absolutely must have pain relief.
I am very sorry his prognosis is not good :cry:

I'm so sorry that Barney's mouth is insuch a bad way. He must be in considerable pain:cry: especially as he has no pain relief. Imagine how much a big hole in his jaw must hurt considering how much a bit of tooth ache hurts us. I can't believe the vet didn't give him anything.

Unfortunately there is no way that Barney's jaw is going to improve it can only get worse. If he is going to have a bit more time with you he has to be on very high pain relief. I know it's not my decision to make but as he must be in pain and there is no way he can improve I would be inclined to let him go. I'm really sorry :cry::cry:

its so hard it has to be your choice on letting him go but if hes in pain its best to let him go i think hugs to you!!!!

When i got Alfie his teeth were in a terrible state he also had a jaw bone absess,the first vet who saw him wanted him to be pts,I said no i took him to see another vet who treated him,he had antiobiotic beads put into the absess he was on penicillin injections for a long time and had to have dentals every 6 weeks
I went against the first vets advise,but if nothing can be done for barney it may be kinder to let him go im so sorry xx

I probably would have to let him go given that there is nothing she can do for his teeth. Its horrible and i know its a very difficult decision but you have to do what is best for the bun.

Thats me personally though..

good luck in whatever you decide hun x

sosorry to hear this its your decision on whether to put to sleep or not but please get him pain relief it isnt fair otherwise. i think if it was me and it was a vet who is bunny savvy whom i trust then i would take advice and let him go if his mouth is that bad..so sorry hope tho that you find someone who can treat him x

Thanks everyone xXx Im really struggling to let him go and we've only had him a week :( Hes going to another vets tomorrow evening at 4.50pm, ive spoke to her on the phone and explained the sitation, if she says he needs to be pts i will let him go :cry: I just want the best for him, i was hoping someone on here would say he could get better. Hes got baytril for tonight but no pain killers :( So hes going to be in alot of pain... waiting for vets to get back to me regarding pain relief.

Got toothache myself and its killing but his must be 10 times worst :cry: :cry:

Thanks everyone xXx Im really struggling to let him go and we've only had him a week :( Hes going to another vets tomorrow evening at 4.50pm, ive spoke to her on the phone and explained the sitation, if she says he needs to be pts i will let him go :cry: I just want the best for him, i was hoping someone on here would say he could get better. Hes got baytril for tonight but no pain killers :( So hes going to be in alot of pain... waiting for vets to get back to me regarding pain relief.

personally i would ring back your vet and say look you know i dont want him to suffer and you might be right about him needing to be put down but i love him so much i want as econd opinon if you really want him to be happier then please give me some metacam to at least stop him suffering thoruogh the night many thanks i am seeing another vet tommorow and will pts if she agrees. i dont think you can let him be overnight without pain relief.

I have metacam, do you want some?

I'm so sorry.

Hopefully you can get some pain relief sorted for him tonight so he can be more comfortable until he sees the other vet tomorrow.

At least if the other vet says he needs to go you know you have done everything you can for him and it is the right decision.

I know how hard it is when things like this happen to a bunny you have only had for a short while. You dream about the happy future they are going to have with you only to find out its not going to be :cry:
I think in these situations the best way to look at it is the reason they come to you is so that they are looked after in their final days and will know that someone cares for them enough to let them go to the bridge rather than them suffering silently where ever they were before.

I hope that makes some sense xx

I'm so sorry you're going through this with Barney. I know it's incredibly hard, but think of what you have given him over the last week he has been with you. Sending you all lots of hugs & a big cuddle for Barney, take care xxx

If I were in your situation I would do exactly the same thing. Second opinion and then make the decision. Hope you get some pain relief for Barney to get him through tonight and tomorrow. Thinking of you.

I would have let him go as I know if my vet had have phoned me with the same prognosis as Barney and said that there was nothing they could do for him, then I know she means itr at would trust her implicitly. I can understand where you are coming from in the fact that you have had him such a short time but at least he as had a taste of the good life while being with you.
I am thinking of you

I have metacam, do you want some?

Many thanks for the offer tree... the vet he saw today has now gave me some metacam thankfully, she said she respects i want a second opinion :? As she is the only bunny vet at the surgery she respects im going elsewhere but she wants to know the outcome, which i suppose is only fair. They have gave me metacam for onlyh this evening and tomorrow morning, which i suppose is only right too :(

Barney is just sitting there... although he is constantly eating hay. After thinking it through i think letting him go is the right choice, and if the vet thinks that tomorrow then so be it :cry: We did try for him and in the week we've had him hes had all the right treatment.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow xXx

I agree the best thing is to let him go. I also have metacam if you need it, but to be honest, to extend his life at the moment isn't doing him any favours. I think giving them dignity and being free from pain is the best way we can help in these circumstances.

I would however be seeking to speak to the people who owned him previously and let them know exactly how much he has suffered due to their neglect. They are disgusting :censored:

I agree the best thing is to let him go. I also have metacam if you need it, but to be honest, to extend his life at the moment isn't doing him any favours. I think giving them dignity and being free from pain is the best way we can help in these circumstances.

I would however be seeking to speak to the people who owned him previously and let them know exactly how much he has suffered due to their neglect. They are disgusting :censored:

Well... he was one of dads best customers and since dad told him the bun had cost us £178 dad hasnt seen him!! :roll: :censored: he told dad his last dental was over a year ago, so he was obviously neglected :cry:

Back