• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild Rabbits..........*Upsetting*

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Following on from me seeing the 'Hoodie' Wild Bunnies today

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=149880

a bit of a morbid thought came into my mind. If a Wildie Bun became sick or injured would they go back to their burrow to die, assuming a predator didn't get them first? If so what would all the other Wild Buns do with the body? :? :cry:

Sorry for this question but I honestly dont know the answer ?

I don't know but I'm sure someone on here (possb Tamsin??) once said that healthy bunnies reject ill bunnies- stay away from them when out and about as they are prime targets for predators. Perhaps an ill bunny would either shoose to wonder off to die away from the rest or would be forced out by the rest. Bunnies are clean aren't they so I can't imagine they would let dead bunnies rot away in their burrow.

Thats all assumsion thoug

I once hit a bun with my car (pre me being bunny-mad). I rushed it to the vets & it was put to sleep as it had myxi. The bun was just sitting in the middle of the road & made no attempt to move

I've always wondered the same of any group living animals especially the type that make homes under ground. And how about if one dies in its sleep? Do they remove it?? Or do they bury it?? It is question I'd like to know the answer to, just for my own piece of mind.

Well when baby buns are ill, they are booted out of the nest, so maybe it's the same for adults

i think sadly that a sick rabbit would either be removed by the others if it made it back to nest/burrow or would be not well enough to get back. :( a sad thought but many myxi buns particularly are picked up by concerned people who take to vets to be humanly put down.

they wouldn't eat them i don't think due to them having a vegetarian diet. I think they would get rid of the body though. not sure how though.

Back