• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can Myxi Vax cause Head Tilt?

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Hi there,

Benny had his myxi vaccination last Wednesday and over the past few days I have noticed his head tilting and he hasn't been as fast to run over to his food bowl as he normally is (although he is still eating).

I'm going to take him back to the vets this evening but could you shed any light for me. I was aware that the VHD vaccine could cause slight head tilt but didn't think the Myxi one did.

Many thanks,

Gemma

i thought that the vhd only caused a limp? i could be wrong iv never had any issues with myxo vaccs..could it be ec? have they been pannacurred? fingers crossed for buns x

I would get him to the vets, if this is EC he should get treatment as soon as possible, it may also be an inner ear infection.

Both of these have good prognosis if treated promptly and properly.

Hi there,

We have an appointment at 6.30 this evening. I've just sat and watched him for a bit and he seems to be shaking his head so I'm hoping it may be an ear infection rather than EC. :(

either way a precautionary course of pannacur would be fine im sure. and if it is an inner ear infectio nor waxy build up hopefully the vet can tell you good luck xx

These things always happen at the worst time! I'm getting married a week on Sat and the buns are boarding for 3 weeks! Luckily the lady is a vet nurse so will be able to medicate but I'll still be worrying about poor Benny man.

These things always happen at the worst time! I'm getting married a week on Sat and the buns are boarding for 3 weeks! Luckily the lady is a vet nurse so will be able to medicate but I'll still be worrying about poor Benny man.

whatever the vet says it is.. let the person boarding know as they may not be able to take them depending on what is wrong ie if ec some people have different rules on it though she may be fine being a vet nurse! good luck with your weddding sure it will be brilliant bunnys often produce wierd ymptoms to worry us when they are minor things so best to get a vet to let you know its nothing major or get ttreatment if it is! :)

My kermit shook his head a bit before he got head tilt....i wasnt a member of this forum then, and i never knew what it meant!
He has still got head tilt, but good apart from that. I think it was EC he had, but this has never been proven.
He was treated for both EC and IEI at the same time, he had 6weeks course of panacur and 6weeks baytril, he also has some steroid injections at the initial stages.

My kermits head tilt was much worse than how your bun sounds, kermit was rolling about and had nystygmus (flickering eye), i think if you get him to the vet tonight and get him on panacur and baytril then take it from there.

If he gets any worse in the mean time i would get him straight to the vets

The vaccine will have had an impact on his immune system. If he was incubating a disease the vaccination could tip his immune system over the edge and clinical symptoms of the incubating disease then become apparent.
Good luck at the Vets :)

Thanks all. I'll have a word to the boarding place as soon as I know what we're dealing with as well. I'll keep you posted.

Aww poor Benny man. Just seen this - hope everything goes well at the vets tonight, I'm sure they'll be able to get him sorted out asap. If the boarding place has any problems, I can take him while you're away.

We're back from the vets now but the vet seemed to think that because he started showing symptoms after his Myxi vax that it could be a variety of things including stress.

His teeth had massive spurs on them, his eye (on his leaning side) has gone runny, his ears looked clear but his head is slightly tilted.

Benny has had a metacam injection, antibiotic injection and I have panacur for all 3 buns. Because his teeth were in a bad state and he is starting to go off his dry food, they've booked him in for a dental in the morning. I know its a risk if hes a bit under the weather but I can't leave him with spikes and the risk of him going completely off his food.

They offered to keep him in overnight but I said I'd rather take him back in the morning and Betty can go with him to keep him company for the day.

Thanks Kerry! I may take you up on the offer but I'm sure you've got enough with looking after 4 buns!!! If its just a case of keeping an eye out and Panacur-ing she should be ok about having them. These things always happen at the worst times don't they? Billy is booked in for his next dental next Tuesday as well...at least he'll be sorted for the next 6 weeks then!!

Just to give you an update...Bennys dental went well and hes eating all his veggies now and has started to nibble his pellet food too. He seems a lot brighter but he still has his head tilt and seems a bit dizzy after I put him down after a cuddle.

We are treating him with Panacur for 28 days in case of EC and he is on Baytril for 7 days to treat his runny eye. I've done some research and if its an inner ear infection we will probably need to change the antibiotics, but we have an appointment back at the vets this evening so I will discuss it with them then.

If anyone has any advice on EC or ear infections, please could you let me know.

How did it go at the vets tonight? Are you any further forward with things?

Hope Benny is feeling a bit better - give the handsome fella some cuddles from me.

Back