• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spraying Doe

cavy.girl

New Kit
Hi, I'm Becky; I'm pretty new to buns, had my first rabbit since last Christmas - she's called Bobby. I keep guinea pigs too and have done so for 16 years, and much of the time feel pretty stumped and guessing getting used to having a rabbit. Bobby is my lovely big girl and I'm learning so much from her!

Like I said though, I'm left puzzled by some of her behaviour and I'd like to quickly learn some stuff about her; I'm hoping by coming on here and speaking to you guys I'll learn one or two things and help give Bobby a good home.

One thing that puzzles me (and winds me up!) is her spray of wee, and am I right that a red coloured wee is normal for a bun? Bobby sprays when in her cage, which can be annoying when it comes out of the cage and down the walls, and she also does it when having floor time, and will spray everywhere! She's not neutered or anything so would this be the answer to calm her down? She also have monthly tempers and nesting too. She's very protective over her cage mate, Beans, and will attempt mounting at almost any opportunity. They get on well but this bit does bother me. Beans is a guinea, and I wouldn't normally suggest housing a guinea and a rabbit together, but they do get on well and Bobby never hurts him. (Bobby first lived with Clover, another of my guineas who had a long term illness and she mothered him, which was invaluable for him when his brother died.) Which is another thing, Beans is a boy so I'm not too sure what Bobby thinks she's gonna be able to do to him!

Any advice is appreciated.

Having Bobby spayed should stop her spraying, and it will stop her nesting & monthly tempers.

Personally, I really would recommend not having a bun and a pig live together; as I know a few others wouldn't too.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have always thought rabbits and guinea pigs shouldn't be kept together because of the tendency of rabbits' feet to go flying, with the threat of kicking, I see they have very powerful feet. When Clover's brother died there was no other pig to live with him and he was very ill. I let Bobby see him and she just took to him, and he liked nothing more than to cuddle up to her and get his face licked. She kept him company until he passed away. When Beans, a rescue pig, came along, he just ended up taking Clover's place. I admit I did it because I felt bad about both of them being lonely, because Bobby was upset when Clover died. I really wouldn't make a habit of it, as ashamed of being a hypocrite as I am. :( I hope you won't judge me for this.

I hadn't realised the threat of disease though, like the bordatella. This does concern me and gives me something to think about now. Thanks for letting me know!

I think spaying sounds like it may be the answer then. I don't like putting them through unnecessary operations and such, but as long as it is recommended then I more at ease about it.

I think spaying sounds like it may be the answer then. I don't like putting them through unnecessary operations and such, but as long as it is recommended then I more at ease about it.

I needed no better recommendation than this:

without spaying, a doe has and 80%+ chance of dying of cancer (of the reproductive organs) before or around the age of five; a spayed doe can live past five, often to 8 or more years of age.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have always thought rabbits and guinea pigs shouldn't be kept together because of the tendency of rabbits' feet to go flying, with the threat of kicking, I see they have very powerful feet. When Clover's brother died there was no other pig to live with him and he was very ill. I let Bobby see him and she just took to him, and he liked nothing more than to cuddle up to her and get his face licked. She kept him company until he passed away. When Beans, a rescue pig, came along, he just ended up taking Clover's place. I admit I did it because I felt bad about both of them being lonely, because Bobby was upset when Clover died. I really wouldn't make a habit of it, as ashamed of being a hypocrite as I am. :( I hope you won't judge me for this.

I hadn't realised the threat of disease though, like the bordatella. This does concern me and gives me something to think about now. Thanks for letting me know!

heres what i think.. a speying op is not unnessacery but quite the opposite besides helping out teh tantrums and behavioural probs 85% of unspeyed females die from it its pretty much a waiting game after age 3years.. remeber that a speyed doe can live between 8-14years its much better to have her speyed also if she is speyded you can take her to a rescue and bond her with a nuetered male bun so she has comnay as for g.pig due to dietry needs and disease even with the best tempered bunny its a bad idea so why not get a new hutch/indoor living area and go to arescue adn get another pigggie or 2 for your pig to live with? they wil be so much happier with their own kind think about if you could talk but noone talked back(g.pigs noisey and buns quiet) then suddenly you got to be around other people! its bound to be better! try and put like for like tho i can understand your mixing this time i dont think really it should be done at all.x

Sorry, can I just say it's spayed, not speyded - that really bothers me :lol:

lol sorry i type really quickly and dont always check what im typping it drives a lot of people mad i know especially if im in a rush! sorry...spayed is what i meant! not speyd..ed... lol.

Back