• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very ill rooney

mullethead

Mama Doe
Ive not been on for a while due to a lot of probs but need some advice,i have recently lost a rabbit due too a viral gut infection and now i have another which has the same symptoms,loose poops with mucas not eating so on he is at the vets every day for anibiotic injection and a gut stimulant so on,he is eating carrot which is the only thing he will eat on his own and i am syringingpellets mixed with boiled water every hour,he has now been like this for 4 days and i think the mucas is stooping,the vet said his belly is very gassy so was thinking to get some infacol to help him,is there anything else ia could doo,i have some pure aloe vera juice if that would help any,HELP PLEASE,rick

Sorry that you have lost a Bunny :cry:

Has the remaining sick Bunny had pain relief aswell as the abx/gut stimulants ?
Is Bunny well hydrated?
What abx is Bunny on and why if the gut problem is 'viral' :?

He has had metroclopromide i dont know which pain releif jayne but he has had it and the vet has give the antibiotic as a precution incase so that side is covered,he is well hydrated as i am syringing fluids every hour,he is holding is own more than the one i lost,would infacol help with the gasses jayne,thanks rick

Can you actually feel gas in his small intestines?
Did he have pain relief today If not then that would be more useful than Infacol.

He has had pain relief everyday as for where the gas is i could not tell you till tommorrow when i see the vet again as she said he had a very gassy stomach,thanks rick

It is very difficult to confirm a viral infection so I would look at making sure all other alternatives are checked out. Antibiotic cover is a sensible precaution as the gut lining is likely to be inflamed and potentially damaged with an infection of any kind, allowing bacteria to cross into the bloodstream. I would definitely try and get a poo sample checked for coccidia (a single celled parasite) as this is a frequent cause of gut problems in groups of rabbits and can be rapidly fatal. If he is deteriorating talk to your vet about hospitalising him for more intensive treatment, feeding and fluid provision.

Thanks very much marie the vet did mention coccidia and has said is very hard to eradicate but as he is holding is own and i am managing to feed and put fluids in him and is not getting dehydrated the would not consider hospitalising him yet and hopefully getting it cleared out,thanks rick

Just by judging on the diet, there is not enough fiber. Get some raspberry or blackberry pulp by a juicer, then cut 1 mm length hay stem and mix it w/ the raspberry pulp. That way, you can get some high fiber inside him, so there is no more glassy diet.

Also, like what Jane said, a lot of liquid. Are you injecting the liquid or syringe feed your bun w/ liquid?

And make sure he has some metacam.

metacam dosage = (wt. in KG) x 0.1 / 1.5

Antibiotic cover is a sensible precaution as the gut lining is likely to be inflamed and potentially damaged with an infection of any kind, allowing bacteria to cross into the bloodstream.

Would Metronidazole be useful Marie?

How is your Bunny this morning Rick ?

He is still holding is own and there is certain foods he will nibble on through the day,i am mushing up his pellets and feeding them to him for the fibre plus the fluids he is keeping hydrated and is due at vets at 2.15,i am hoping if i can keeps this up it will pass through him to make a recovery (fingers crossed),thanks to everyone who is helping ,rick

Would Metronidazole be useful Marie?

It can be as it targets anaerobes (and clostridia overgrowth is often an issue in chronic GI infections), I tend to use the human IV preparations insetad of oral as it is REALLY vile tasting (I had to take it after a snake bite and it made me feel so ill...)

Rick - did your vet actually find coccidia when they were discussing it?
Not all pellets are that high in fibre and it tends to be softer fibre types. Rabbits need 'strands' of fibre so I find the best syringe feeding mix if Critical Care for Herbivores and your vet should be able to provide some. Hope he is feeling a bit happier today

Hi Rick. Nice to see you, but I wish the circumstances were happier. Vibes for your bunster.

thanks for all your replys,just to say that rooney is now eating for himself and is more active he still has the squits but they are more formed so are going back to normal so when he is back to normal will have to reintroduce him back to the gang,hi capel (hilda)had a load of probs so not been on(bereavment)thanks rick

Thanks jayne,theres a lot to be said about cancer:cry:
he seems to be inproving everyday :D

Hi Rick, so glad Rooney is getting better :D

I'm sorry to hear you are having a rough time at the moment :( if you need to talk we are all good listeners on here.

Back