• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question For Rescues.........

blimey that is good question! I have a hypothetical opnion but obviously i'm not a rescue!

I do believe that to refuse on that basis could lead to legal problems as you can't discriminate on that basis as the law stands currently.

If I were rehoming I would not let a Bun go to smokers if Bun was to be a House Rabbit.
I have just had a very heated debate about this with someone who thinks my opinion is completely OTT...........

If I were rehoming I would not let a Bun go to smokers if Bun was to be a House Rabbit.
I have just had a very heated debate about this with someone who thinks my opinion is completely OTT...........

I agree. I would not put a bun in a situation I would refuse to go into myself. I would never live in a house with someone who smoked. Yuk!

I do home visits for the RSPCA and have never actually had a smoker come through. I actually think my branch might tell a smoker they couldn't have a house rabbit unless it was in a place where people didn't smoke, and the place was ventilated. I am not sure I could OK it though. It could be detrimental to their health, surely.

I agree. I would not put a bun in a situation I would refuse to go into myself. I would never live in a house with someone who smoked. Yuk!

A friend has got really cross because a Rescue has refused to home a Dog to them as her hubby smokes. I must admit it was not at the forefront of my mind til my friend phoned to rant about it. I dont know about the laws of 'descrimination' but I suspect there would be a way around any such law should one exist given the very anti-smoking agenda of recent times :?

Needless to say my friends are now off to view a dog they have seen on FreeAds..........:roll:

Ooh, good one!
No one I know smokes, so I have to say I'd not given this any thought, but if I were a rescue, I would say an absolute no to that.
Smoke inhalation is really damaging to humans, so poor little bunny lungs wouldn't stand a cahnce, would they?

It would depend if it was a smoke free house surely? I smoke but not inside the house so I would be a bit upset if I was refused because I choose to damage my own health in my garden and an animal would miss out on a home

Not everyone that smokes sits and blows smoke all over other people and their pets :)

HI

well did you know if someone came into your house you are supposed to not smoke i.e police or council etc! As it comes under smoking at work. So I dont think a rescue would have problem with legal action in that respect.
However I think as so many animals need home I wouldnt be to picky as long as I checked where bun was staying and the people were very caring. If they were serious they would prob suggest going in another room or outside. I would check ventilation and tell them the risks to buns health breathing difficulties etc. If these people were keen enough to look at rescues then they would prob be keen enough to make few sacrafices. but Im not a rescue so not sure what would happen. I do feel its quite insulting to them as they were willing to give a home to a pet which now may face being destroyed. However I would also judge and I suppose you know when someone is a good or not if that makes sense.

What the law says and what is ethically and morally right is often not the same. I would prefer never to rehome any indoor animal to a smoker but I can't see that it would be workable.

Presumably you'd be able to assess on the homecheck whether it would be an issue. If the area the bun would be staying eg a bedroom is smoke free then it's probably fine. If you walk in and it stink probably not ;)

I think it would depend on how bad it was..if you walked in and it was just a haze of smoke I don't think an animal should be put it that home as it would be detrimental to it's health, if they smoked outside or in another, ventilated room it wouldn't be such a problem.

I don't think descrimination laws would come into it as I assume rescues have every right to reject anyone for any reason :?

:roll: Surely id the animal is being offered a loving caring home thn it shouldnt matter??

How can you say that given what we all know (I assume) about the risks of passive smoking :?

I actually think Rabbits are even more 'at risk' than a dog as Rabbits are obligate nose breathers and often harbour latent bacteria in their Respiratory Tracts.

Back