• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I swear we're not related....

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
My brother and his wife (who I haven't spoken to in years, so all this I heard from my mum) have had two unneutered rabbits for about a year - 1 boy and 1 girl - that have been living separately.

All was fine until a few mths ago when their little girl left the run door open and the 2 rabbits got together. Nothing happened that time but they still didn't get the boy neutered and about 2 weeks later the female broke out of her run for another moment of passion.

4 weeks later - 3 babies appear. :roll: The babies are now 8 wks old and they have now found another two new babies :shock::shock: (one had died), so have taken the older ones out. The vet has suggested that it was one of the older babies that made mum pregnant - would that even be possible at 4 wks old? :shock: The other option is that it happened through the bars of the run - although he would have to be an acrobat hung like a donkey surely? :shock::lol: My guess is they had another mishap they haven't admitted to. :evil:

So finally they're doing something and will get the mum spayed instead (let's just hope she doesn't get pregnant again first!!). But, they want to keep two of the older babies (all 3 are male) and they'll just hope that they won't fight because they've grown up together. I tried to tell my mum that they really need to get them neutered if they want to keep them both, but I'm really not sure they'll listen.

It's so frustrating and I can't believe how irresponsible they've been. If I hadn't already fallen out with them then i think I would have now. They were going to get the boy neutered a while ago but then had to pay for him to have a dental and didn't want to pay any more money out quite so soon. So, instead, they have let the mum have 2 litters straight after the other and have had to buy 2 new hutches. :(:(

Sorry to waffle on, just had to get it off my chest. :oops:

It's very distressing that they are so careless with their rabbits. Their child is going to grow up thinking it's fine to get pets & not bother caring for them :(

Nope, it's not possible for 4 week old babies to impregnate mum.

I would guess that their little girl is putting the rabbits together :?

irresponsible people! :censored:

i know how you feel.
My best friend just got a new dog after there old one was hit by a car and killed (yet they still let there new dog run around on the road:shock:)

My friends cousin, just got a new puppy (there 3rd one this year, after puppy isnt a puppy, it isnt so appealing, so they drop it off at the humain society and swing by the pet shop for another one. :censored: :censored: :censored: ) The plan was for the cousin to get a male, so they could breed!:censored: they had NO plan for what they would do with the puppies, or the mom and dad. thank god the pet shop cant tell boys from girls (even in dogs:?) and they ended up with a female.

They let the puppy bite everyone because "its cute" with no understanding that it wont be cute when the dog grows up, LIKE THEY CARE!? there just going to get rid of it :censored:

sorry for rambling on your post... i just cant beleive how irresponsible people can be. :cry:

Ramble away. :D It's sad that so many people take on pets with no idea of right and wrong. :( At least my kids will grow up knowing how to be responsible.

oh dear. any chance you could get them to join on here?it IS expensive to get bunnys neutered. but even if they got mum done for health reasons at least it would stop pregnancy and risk of uterine cancer. i would say that was first step. then get boys done say one a month. i know that it needs to be done is there any way the vet would do a discount for neutering so many buns for them.. can imagine the bill wouldnt be too nice
mum+dad+3baby boys=(380 if mum 100 and boys each 70) or if lawer costs this done by my vet prices(255 boys at 48 and girl at 63) hopefully this wil have made them think a bit more. the best thing you can do is try and be helpful rather than angry maybe you can help them with their problems(tho it doesnt sound much like they will listen)

flip how frustrating.and what happens if one of the boys turns out to be a girl, so then thats more babies and their inbred. if i where you i'd go round and talk to them and show them this website then i'd show them all the rescue buns sitting waiting for new homes. silly people. :evil:

I've tried to give them advice via my mum but it just falls on deaf ears. They only hear what they want to hear. :( I have shown my annoyance to my mum but she is always quite diplomatic when she passes on the advice to them.

Neutering isn't cheap I know but their reluctance to fork out has already resulted in 2 unwanted litters. I forgot to say that the mum and dad are brother and sister. :shock: Most of our local vets charge around the same - £65 for a spay £45 for a neuter - so around the same as your vets bunlover.

They just seem to be making one mistake after another instead of learning from the first one. :roll:

Back