• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter tray

George&dillon

Mama Doe
I went to PAH yesterday to buy some things for the rabbits, one was a litter tray but when i got there there was loads and i was so confused, they had different shaped ones, open ones, closed ones, big ones, small ones :shock: i was confused :lol: what type should i buy or is it persoanl preference to each rabbit? and will the two bunnys use the same tray or do they need one each? i see from previous posts i shouldn't use wood shavings, but is wood pellet litter ok? this is the only one i keep seeing in the shops ;)

Just like to add while there i noticed the rabbits & guinea pigs were in sawdust as a main bed and no hay hardly, after reading some posts previously on here from members who work there and advised the poster to complain i did, so i did the right the right thing for the welfare of the bunnys ;)

Two rabbits can share one easily but it will need to be twice as big as for a single as there is twice the mess. I'd generally recommend one about the size of a cat litter tray as they do produce a lot :)

I personally use cat litter trays, but not the covered ones. I also sometimes use the corner ones, and for my quad I use(d) a dog bed because they could all easily fit in there.

Really its what works for each bun because they will have different preferences and needs (like some might lean back further than others, some might have one or two spots where they like to go, others might have many).

hi

Corner ones do what they say prevent splash back on walls. I use cat litter tray just open 1 I have one in hutch and one upstairs spare room. Both buns share both. I clean out each morning just empty wash up liquid/water and dry and re-fill with wood chip. Not sure why cant use it its good at soaking up liquid easily cleaned and cheap to buy. Wood shavings is generally used for bunny bedding I'm wondering if your talking dust? Anyway if you need any tips on training or to see pic of tray for idea http://www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com/home_contents.html

you dont really

Mine dont really fit in 1 too big. They do try which is comical but they take turns you see winnie cross legged on rug untill Angel comes out then as soon as he hears her move he runs and then the smell hits you and Angel vaccates the hutch. (while we block our nose!)

My small trio fit nicely in the open cat litter tray - a corner one would be of no use whatsover 'cos they wouldn't be able to lounge in it (something they love to do)

Frank has to make do with the plastic bottom of a large bird cage and is about 20 x 30 inches and 4 inches high. I was going to buy a litter tray but this was in the shed so I thought I'd give it a try and he loves it. I fill it with woodchips (bad mommy - not got round to getting paper based litter yet) and top with hay. I just scoop the soiled stuff out daily and top up a little. I very often find him flopped out relaxing in it.

Back