• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The weather and putting buns outside

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
My outdoor buns havent been out for 3 days because of the weather,im hoping once they can go in the new run they can go out as its got shelter anyone else had the same probs of not being able to put them in to outdoor runs?

Im not using my outdoor run in this weather, until my run cover arrives because given the chance mine will just sit in the rain :) x

I can't bear the thought of mine being hutched all the time so no matter what the weather - UNLESS it is absolutely pouring down, I put him in his run. It has a tarpaulin on the top and sides so is like a huge hutch but at least he can play and run in there.

I can't bear the thought of mine being hutched all the time so no matter what the weather - UNLESS it is absolutely pouring down, I put him in his run. It has a tarpaulin on the top and sides so is like a huge hutch but at least he can play and run in there.

Mine arent in hutches they live in a shed have half of it for each pair about 4.5ft x 4.5ft so dont feel as guilty

I guess this would be one of the reasons why it's better to have hutches which are permanently attached to runs if at all possible!

I'm still chucking Scamp out every evening. He's got his new run shelter box if he gets cold, not that its really that cold yet.

Tam

ive put the tarp over the hutch as the rain was getting the inside of the hutch wet, but they still get access to outside, infact ive increased it to 24hour. They have to go out as the litter tray is outside, and Charlie will not go anywhere else.

Just want to add, Buu and Beau are not being left in their hutches 24/7 because the weather is bad. They spend the entire day and most of the night in the house free range in a room each with plenty of room to run about

I do have a scratch and newton run hugger but found that in heavy downpours the rain "pooled" on top and put a strain on the lid, so now I have an enormous sheet of wood which is inside a BBQ cover which is too big. I position it over one corner and and the excess waterproof cover hangs over halfway down the run which makes a windbreak. I've another piece of wood which leans against the other side which means that one corner is totally rain and windproof. In the corner is their hidebox/shelter which is filled with hay, but they invariably sit on top of it:roll:. There have been only a few days when they haven't been out, but their hutch has a run attached to which they have 24 hr access, and they spend most of their hutch time in that run in all weathers:roll::roll:

Jazz and Gizmo have been out today as their hutch is in their run. I didnt put eclipse out though as his run is seperate and although it does have a bit of shelter I don't think it would of been enough in this weather! I dont feel too bad as he is not in a tiny hutch.

Reminder to self: must take pics of inside of eclipses house

My buns haven't been on the lawn since last weekend. I don't mind putting them out if it's cold, but I don't like them getting too wet because of the risk of sore hocks :(

Most of them do have runs attached to their hutches though, but only 6 x 4ft ones.

I just called Scamp in. He must have been sitting somewhere sheltered with his nose stuck out as his head is soaked (he's got a punk do going on) and the rest of him is totally dry :lol:

If you have outdoor buns they will develop the right coat to keep them warm.
Mine have never had a night in and have always been fine, plenty of bedding, protection and they're fine.
They would live out in the wild in this weather (just in warm cosy burrows ;) )
Funny though as Ghostie dug a burrow in the first haybale we had, then we got a new one and she did exactly the same and sleeps in there at night...
Also when the first one collapsed (she bit throught the twine) they burrowed into that, and you could see the various holes. :)

Mine half half covered run and shelter, so im sticking em out for afew hours today even though it is chilly...

moo and casp have winter coats developing.

Back