• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
So I have bonded a good few pairs and groups of bunnies, all by the bunny dating system, not the way of just putting them together and working through the problems.

What I was wondering was, if you get a pair who fight or scrap, what do you do if you put them together and keep them together, and how do you get them through that barrier and past the squabbling bit?

:wave: There's a very good bonding thread here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=55913&highlight=sgprescue

Janice (jrn1310) is our main resident bonding expert, spending most of her weekends bonding bunnies for the rescue ARC, have a scoot through a few threads and see what she says to people (it usually involves a broom!) as it seems to work :D

I recently bonded my boss' buns for him, they had been tried before and fought. Because I knew there was an 'aggressor' I sat in the run with them and every time she went towards him, I gave a warning noise and put my hand gently on her scruff. She immediately went submissive and stopped attacking him. Over a period of a couple of hours I did this numerous times and eventually it only took me to say 'oi' and she would stop. Then I worked my way to the edge of the run and eventually got out (went to the loo and made a cuppa!) and kept an eye for the rest of the day. I had to physically pull them apart a couple more times during the day, but mostly they stopped when I shouted. I slept in a room with them that night so if they kicked off I was on hand to sort them out, but by morning they were fine.

My boss told me that when they had previously tried (in a childrens play pen so neutral territory) they had immediately rushed towards each other and locked on, so I'm sure the way I did it did make a difference. Not the most orthodox approach but now 6 weeks later the buns are absolute firm friends and I have a very happy boss :lol:

Back