• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tooth abscess

carolh365

New Kit
Some of you may remember I took in mum and 3 babies a few months ago, your help was great, I need help once more.

Mum (Molly) came in with blocked tear ducks, which after a visit to the vets also revealed that her teeth were not good, but advised by vet that there was nothing they could do to improce them, caused by bad diet.

Today Molly has developed a tooth abscess, vets have put her on baytril and she has to go in on Monday be under general for the abscess to be drained and have a good look at her teeth.

I have spoken to a rabbit rescue, who have advised not to go along this route and have her pts. This is not a route I am prepared to go down without fighting for her first.

Has anyone had any experience with this, good or bad !!

Baytril probably won't actually be sufficient enough to do much with the abscess. You will need something far more aggressive, like a penicillin or zithromax or something.

Is your vet rabbit savvy? If not, you need to find a rabbit savvy vet so that you can be sure of the treatment, and know the vet is competent with buns. It might be that being euthanised is the only humane thing to be able to do, but you can only know that for sure if you see a rabbit savvy vet.

There are things that can be done to improve teeth, such as removing opposing ones. Was that discussed and looked at? Do they know what has caused the abscess?

Molly had her op, still has a swab in the wound which has been changed today at the vets.

There is still alot of puss coming out, she is due back on Friday to have it changed again.

Molly is being so good, but it is breaking my heart to see her in so much pain. She is on Rimadel.

Vet is still unsure as to whether the treatment will work, all I can do is give her the best fighting chance I can.

Molly had her op, still has a swab in the wound which has been changed today at the vets.

There is still alot of puss coming out, she is due back on Friday to have it changed again.

Molly is being so good, but it is breaking my heart to see her in so much pain. She is on Rimadel.

Vet is still unsure as to whether the treatment will work, all I can do is give her the best fighting chance I can.

What antibiotics is she on now?

My Bobby has a tooth root abcess. He's had it for a year and we've managed to keep it under control.
He has had his tooth and offending root removed as much as possible, the abcess drained and packed with antibiotics. That was last October.
Since then he has been back to have the abcess drained whilst he was awake about 5 times. He has not had many antibiotics as the abcess has now walled itself off.
Bobby is such a laid back bunny, I think it is a credit to his strength of character that he is still with us.
As long as your bunny is willing to fight it, there are lots of things that the vet can do yet.

Back