• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter protection

sw33ty

Warren Scout
Hi, I know this has been covered prob many times but i'm still going to ask:oops:Sadly we can't bring Poppy into the house over the winter:cry:& I can't get her into the shed because we have bird roosting in there & there is'nt any room so she is going to have to stop outside. At the min she's on the patio about 6ft away from the house (facing the house)
My plan was to cover her hut with an old blaket/sheet, 2 layers of bubble wrap, a shower curtain then put 1 tonne rubble sacks that I stiched together over the top as they hook under the leg of the hutch so should stop every thing else blowing away. How does this sound will she be warm enough:?:?:?she use's her bed room to sleep in & at the min it has hay 3-4" deep but I may put more in if it'll help. Also should the above coverings come down over the front of her hutch ?? The sacks to cover the front which keeps alot of wind out

Thanks for any help:D:D:D

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=149098

to be honest what your doing sounds a little complicated. But if you can get it to work they should be very cosy! I wouldnt bother with the blanket/sheet in case it gets wet or mouldy. The rubble sacks on their own might be good enough? Rabbits are quite well adapted to the cold.

It's a good idea to cover the front of the hutch particularly at night.

I thought of the blacket might stop Poppy from trying to eat the bubble wrap:roll: should I put insulation over the front or would it be best to do just the roof, sides & back:? the sacks are pulled shut at the front at night or if the rain is heavy & blowing in the front;)

The only problem with using bubble wrap is that the wood of the hutch may not be able to "breathe". The first winter I had my buns I covered the entire surface, including the roof with bubble wrap and found that it created mould in the hutch.I now have some wodden pallets on the roof and have that covered with with a hutch cover I had made. The space made by the wooden pallets between the hutch roof and its cover is another form of insulation. The cover has a clear plastic front that can be dropped down at night. Just make sure you have plenty of straw on the floor of the hutch, topped with hay, and your bun should be fine. Straw has much better insulation properties than hay. Of course a foolproof way of keeping your bunster warm during cold snaps is to give it a living hotwater bottle...ie another bun for company.:lol::lol:

Back