• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter

Pringle

Warren Veteran
Every winter i feel so sorry for my buns :(. They surely must be cold? its been so cold the last few days, i even had ice on my car yesterday. Have started giving the buns a lot more hay to snuggle into, will they be ok:( is their anything i can do to keep them extra warm? :roll: always seem to worry but they never seem to bothered. I have had pringle and sophie in lately as pringle's been on lots of medication for his tummy, been puting him out through day and bringing him in at night, im worried though that his tummy probs will come back if hes out in cold :roll: i hate winter!!

I'm worried about my babies, especially minnie. they're 5 months old now and don't even have their ful adult coat, let alone a winter coat. Poor minnie is so teeny still. She's all baby fluff still :(

Aww what ashame :( its very worrying isnt it :( just trying to think of what i can do that will keep them a lot warmer xx

All rabbits kept outside will get winter coat, regardless of their age.
Sometimes taking them inside would only make things worse, they are used to the cold climate and would get too warm if they suddenly are taken indoors in the middle of winter.
I keep rex-rabbits outside...you'd think they'd get cold with their fur being shorter than normal but its amazing how dense it gets:D
Despite the mass ammounts of snow, Zakura still sits out in her run on cold winter days. (the time the run hasn't snowed down... I had to clear it out every day at one point:roll: Then I got tired of it and put Zakura in the shed for a few days:lol:)
I always filled the hutches up with hay and they ate it... somehow I think if they were freezing they'd choose to eat something other than their beds:roll:
I prefer using straw, but I didn't have that, since they don't eat as much of that.:roll:

Last year was Drake and Josh's first winter, and they were fine.

I give them lots of hay, a snugglesafe (that reminds me, I need a new one), and I cover the playhouse, and cover the front up.

Hope our bunnies enjoy winter:)
Jack x

I always feel sorry for my bunnies being outside when it's cold - so all mine live inside during the winter months. In fact their all in now & will be until about April/May time - I suppose we're lucky because we have room for them all inside (well now we've got rid of some furniture in the dining room! :shock::lol::lol::lol:). I know I also wouldn't spend as much time with them if they were outside during winter. Some of ours live upstairs in our attic room & seem to love it up there, as they've got loads of room & big windows that let plenty of light in. I really thought central heating would be too much for them - but most of them can't get enough of it!!! Also the buns that are downstairs tend to hog the fire more than the cats!!!

I gave up worrying about mine long ago!
They have hutches stuffed with straw to go in, boxes of hay - lovely and toasty warm. Where do they choose to sit - on top of the hutches. And if I put hay up there for them - well they eat it and chuck it off the top.
They can snuggle together if they're cold, and straw is a good insulator.
They may just enjoy being out in the cold though.

Yea i just always have a panic when it gets colder although they all seem fine and happy and still sit outside in their runs. Its Pringle who always sits hunched up and his ears are ALWAYS cold unless its very hot, im sure they will be ok :oops: xx

I too am worried about my babies (6 months) as they are tiny nethies so i have decided to bring them in and keep them in conservatory once they have been spayed on 17th Oct i was looking at rabbit cages but fear they are too small so have been looking at a dog transporter cage can anybody tell me if this should be big enough? (SIZE: 87 x W 59 x H 65 cm). They will also have free run of conservatory and garden when i am in house.

I gave up worrying about mine long ago!
They have hutches stuffed with straw to go in, boxes of hay - lovely and toasty warm. Where do they choose to sit - on top of the hutches. And if I put hay up there for them - well they eat it and chuck it off the top.
They can snuggle together if they're cold, and straw is a good insulator.
They may just enjoy being out in the cold though.

They sound just like mine! I also use loads of straw as a base during the winter months as it has better insulation properties. My hutch is double skinned so it warm anyway. Having said all that, they do tend to opt to sit out in the attached run well into the night:roll:

Back