• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump? a cyst? (it's probably worse!! advise please)

Hi

A few weeks ago we found a small lump on (6 year old) charlie's skin (near the knee on his hind leg) The vet suggested leaving to see if it gets bigger. I was hoping someone may know what it is.

It is pea sized (we think its got a bit bigger garden pea rather than petit pois !!), Its grey (looks the same colour as a tick (but its not one) and all the hair has fallen out of it. The vet said it might be a cyst from an ingrowing hair???

We have another bun and she does nip and bite him.. but it doesn't look like a wound.

Any ideas ?? we will probably go back to the vets in the week.. but he is agoraphobic and hates the carrier.. he runs and hides behind the settee when he hears it !! so we dont want to get him too stressed unless totally necessary.

Thanks
Lynsey

( I will try and work out how to attach the photo !!:censored: )

Last edited:
It could be a cyst, a little abscess or possibly a tumour. I have a girl who has one of these, and it is just being monitored like you are doing with yours. I personally would prefer for it to be removed, but the vets won't. The vet might be able to drain it if it's a cyst, but if its a tumour or abscess its not drainable and would need removing.

Not looking too good :-( need some advice please

The lump has got bigger, the vet drained a little and looked at the cells. She said there were blood cells and clumps of skin cells, so its not an infected cyst or abcess.

we have two choices:

1. surgery to remove the lump

2. scrapes / samples to be tested. ( with presumably surgery to remove it if its growing anyway??)

I'm tempted to opt with surgery straight away because the lump has grown a little in the past few weeks. Its only seems to be attached to the skin and so may be a skin cancer sort of lump ??

My biggest FEAR is the aneasthetic. :cry: (we lost our last bunny on an operating table when her tooth abcess was too big to remove successfully)

I've read other posts with questions for the vets, however i just wanted to hear from anyone else who has put their 6 year old bun through the stress of being put under aneasthetic.

He hates travelling and pants like a dog when he gets stressed :(.. im worried that taking him back to the vets and leaving him there will e too much!

bloomin animals !! :cry:

If it's growing then I'd opt for surgery 1st ask questions later. even if it is benign you'll probably have to have it removed at some point and better when it's still small than when it's got too large and restricts movement.

i agree, sooner is better while the lump is smaller and simpler to remove and doesnt interfere with other structures. stress-wise - is he bonded? will your vet let you take him in with his friend? that will keep him calmer before and after. if you are at home all day the vet may let you take him in right before the surgery so he doesnt have to wait in the vet kennels. make sure he has a towel/blanket whatever that he recognises to put in his kennel/cage when he comes around (freshly washed of course). otherwise he may just have to cope and hope it will all be over soon and he can come home again!

ITs gone

Hi all

Had a bit of a stressful week :roll:.. and lots of phone calls with the vet,... surgery was agreed last wednesday.. i dropped him off in the vets and sat and worried all day.. collected him that afternoon (as we decided that he would settle back home rather than stay overnight).. so we had special food, emergency pineapple etc etc and the little git came home flicked me and scoffed a tonne of hay and pellets!! :shock::shock::shock:

All that worry about the aneasthetic and potential digestive upset and stress of travelling (he's become agoraphobic) for nothing !!!

Stitches are out tomorrow... i think Lottie has nibbled at a few of them so the vet may have to 'dig' around for them.. (i'm sure that will be his next medical emergency.. lost stitches... but i will worry about that tomorrow)

Thanks for your advise .. fingers crossed it won't come back.

Back