• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Half Price Myxi Vaccs

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Hi,

I have two buns that need myxi boosters and when Willow had hers last month I was a bit annoyed that my vets charged nearly as much as they did for her yearly myxi and vhd. I thought I'd try companion care (P@H) at Filton (Bristol) for a quote on the offchance and they are doing a promotion that buy one myxi vac get one half price for anyone who's interested. So it'll cost me £24 for both buns. :)

They need myxi jabs every six months from 8 weeks of age, and VHD jab once a year. Even if they are house bunnies it is recommended as myxi is spread by biting bugs, and can pass on infection that way... so I would suggjest getting any rabbit no matter what vaccinated. :D

my bunny is aroun 10-12 weeks so the pet shop said so should i get her done or will they have gave her one?

no the pet shop won't have done it, so yes I would book her into your vets to get a myxi jab, and then wait a month or two and book her in for her VHD jab They can cost anything from £10 - £25 mine are £15 each.

Chipmunk can VHD not be done 2 weeks later? Or are you refering the fact that her bun is so young in age? If I remember rightly the two different VHD jabs have different ages?

yes

You should get the jabs done. Very unlikely that the pet shop would have already done it. They would have given you a vaccination card if they had.

Chipmunk can VHD not be done 2 weeks later? Or are you refering the fact that her bun is so young in age? If I remember rightly the two different VHD jabs have different ages?

2 weeks after one vaccination is a good time to get the next one done, earlier than that and it overloads the immune system.

I say give a month or two simply because the bun is really young, and When my two 8 week buns had their Myxi jabs, there reactions never came until a week or more later (freaked me out I had no idea what it was:lol:), plus baby bunnies immune systems are still growing at 12 weeks, and it's easier on the bank, and I just feel when it's a little bun, or a bunny with a dodgy tummy, it's better to be cautious then to rush.

As the bunny is so young, and from a pet shop/breeder, goodness only knows what her immune system is like, or her parentage. Personally I just feel safer giving a least a month, but that is just me, my vet will do them within a week of each other, but I really don't feel comfortable with that - but I guess it's partly to do with how sick Ivy was when he was born, and the fact that Timmy has such a sensitive tummy. :oops:

Thanks thats what I thought.

I thought perhaps chipmunk said a month because of the buns age? I cannot remember how old they have to be for VHD, I thing Cylap and the other one have two different start ages?

Back