• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Declan Almost Sustained a Serious Injury........

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I have been extending Declan and Elyse's Dog Crate today by attatching a run to it. Declan was investigating the new area when something spooked him.
He bolted back into the crate but instead of jumping up over the bottom bars of the crate he ran between them. He then panicked even more as the bars began to strangle him :cry: He tried to pull back but as he had raised his head he was stuck and he srceamed :cry: :cry: All this happened in a nanosecond and thank goodness I was there and able to grab him and stop him moving at all. I then managed to free his head from between the bars. Declan was very, very shocked and we all know that can be enough to kill a Bun :cry::cry: I held him next to me wrapped up in a blanket for almost an hour and thankfully he is now OK. He only sustained a slight abrasion at the back of his neck.
Never in a million years did I see that accident coming. I have now covered the bottom bars so as its obvious he and Elyse have to jump into the crate.
I feel dreadful for not forseeing what happened

:cry::cry:

You didn't do anything wrong. It was one of those REALLY freak things that happened. The important thing is that he is ok, and you did everything right, and everything that you needed to, to make sure he was ok.

Silly bun! Its just one of those random accidents that bunnys seem to have, at least you were there to save him.
He'll be ok
x

:shock: Oh my goodness!!! Normal dog crate width bars?!?! On my gosh that must have been so horrible :cry: Calming and peaceful vibes for you and Declan x what a horrible thing to happen. Dont blame yourself jane, as Sky-O says, it was a freak accident x

I know the guilt... Twinkle once caught her nail in the small mesh holes on a speaker when she was indoors.... she struggled and I had to free her... thought she might break her arm.. but she was ok...

I accept it was no one's fault.. a freak accident... and thankfully Declan is fine like Twinkle was after being settled back down.

At least they were supervised to received immediate help x

pearls always running into the bars of the pen... youd think shed learn they are there :roll:

im sure declan is well over it now so you should stop feeling guilty hun :(

Yep, normal width.
Dec seems fine now but I think I need a drink............:shock:

I'm looking at Hazel n Tam's dog crate now :shock: the thought is making me feel ill!

Why stop at a drink?! I think i'd need the whole bottle!!!! :shock:
Hugs x

Poor Declan, he must have been so scared. :shock: But he's a Dutch, and has the mad gene in him. Maybe Harry has some Dutch genes hidden inside him, too.

Glad Declan is ok. :)

Poor Declan, how terrifying for him and I can imagine how shaken up you must feel too. It was absolutely not your fault 7 there was no way you could have seen it coming but I know you can't help the gulity feeling - I felt the same way when Alfie leaped out of his run & face first into the fence a couple of weeks ago but thankfully no lasting damage and hopefully the same with Declan. Hugs to you both. xx

Thanks everyone :)
Decs is completely oblivious to the :shock: :shock: :shock: he has caused and at the moment he is trying to dig his way through a wall.............:roll:

Bunnies !! Why do we love them sooooooooooooo much !! :love: :love:

I've heard about this happening with some brands of dog crate because the gap between the bars is slightly wider at the bottom to allow the tray to slide in and out, so I made sure I bought one without the gap.

I guess there's nothing we can do about it, when a 48 inch dog crate is intended for an animal the size of a Great Dane :?

Back