• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oh my poor boy! He's getting fixed as we speak!

Arkaidy

Young Bun
I know he will be fine and I have worked for years at a vet's office - so I know how it goes - I just feel so bad for him having to be poked and prodded and then wake up all disoriented, lol.

I can't wait for him to come home! I can go get him in about 3 hours.

While we are on the subject, what kind of precautions should I take with a newly neutered bun?? Is it the same as with a cat/dog? I know the vet will give me D/C instructions, but I am wondering what you guys have to say about it.

I would keep him in and make sure he is warm.My buns are usually very thirsty when they have had a GA.Make sure he has plenty of water and food and Is eating.Good luck and sending quick recovery vibes.

Bed him on towels, so nothing can get stuck in his wounds.
Keep him warm and quiet.
Offer plenty of food, all his favs!
Maybe put water in a bowl.

Just keep a close eye out for poos and wee's and keep an eye on his privates lol

Hope he is okay!

xx

my 2 boys got got done yesterday and are both acting as if nothing has happened. they go back to the vets tomorrow for a check up. good luck

He;s back home! i sure missed him! Yes, he is acting totally fine, if maybe a little quiet. Is eating and drinking great.

Now the test - will he stop marking? He was out of control peeing on our bed about 5 times a day until I finally banned him to his house, and I am scared to let him out in a few days and have him do it again!!

WHat is your experience with marking after getting neutered?

I'm so glad that he is fine.It will take a good 4-8wks for his hormones to calm down completely.So be patient.I had a bunny that was so in love with me he sprayed me the minute he saw me.I smelt like a bunny urinal:lol::lol::lol::lol:I got him neutered and things were fine.

Last edited:
When I had my males done, I kept them in a cat box with a blankie for most of the night. Once it got quite I turned around and noticed one of them had gone to play outside. So the boys were ok.

With my adult male I had to keep him in over night as he was still very quite and had hardly eaten, he was back to normal in a few days though.

A cat box is a good thing to keep them in as you can attach their water bottle to the front of the box.

As far as I have noticed all of them have stoped spraying and the little ones have only been done 2 weeks ago.

Glad your bun is ok, his eating is a good sign. :)

thought id post in on this, as my male rabbit has being peeing all over my bed like Arkaidy said his was. so im currently in the process of checking about getting him neutered as this evening i also had a few incidents of him humping my arm whilst i was in bed, ive been left with a rather shredded and clawed arm and hand. he is only around 4 months and didnt realise he would start displaying this behaviour so young, he also stamps his feet a lot when he gets told off!

Hehe, yes, it does sound as though your boy needs neutered! When I first let him out a few days after the operation, he did pee on the bed, of course, but it was very soon. I immediately bought a baby gate, and that solved the problem completely. I haven't waited to see if he would stop after the operation, so I don't know if it worked or not :)

On another note, we now have a new mattress because him, along with leaking diapers, had ruined our old mattress. We now have a waterproof zip cover on it, so all we need to do in case of an accident is wash sheets!

Good luck with your bunny!

yeah i did think of buying a waterproof sheet to cover the bed, but over the last few days ive had "gates" either side to stop him jumping up there....but of corse he has found a way round them! im going to call the vets tomorrow and get him booked in. when i got him he was so cuddly and would sit on my shoulder for hours now he just wants to beat me up!

Louis is getting done tomorrow. We've managed to find a lovely vets, who have given us lots of information, but I still feel nervous for him. (I've cried three times!)

My husband pities what I will be like when we have children...

Back