• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea Pig Hutch ideas...

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
I currently have

2xGP females who live together
3xGP males who live separate

5 in total...:D lol

All in separate hutches, around the garden.

Im wanting a stack of hutches no smaller than 4ft L x 2ft W
To house them all together but separate...

Any ideas....?!

- I have found this one, by Happy hutch..

http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/details.php?product=57

Its a 4ft one!

Last edited:
what about making one? if your o/h is handy with DIY! remember that big brown stacking hutch opposite jasmine when she stayed here for the night?

that is 6 x 2 x 2 on three levels, n cost just £90, so u can adqapt it to suit you :D

Happy hutch?
Rydale hutches?

Both seem decent construction but I haven't had personal experience.

what about making one? if your o/h is handy with DIY! remember that big brown stacking hutch opposite jasmine when she stayed here for the night?

that is 6 x 2 x 2 on three levels, n cost just £90, so u can adqapt it to suit you :D

Really? I suppose for that money we could try.

Talk us through what we would need lol.

Am just fed-up of the hutches all over the place, may aswell try get it down to one big one!

xx

Really? I suppose for that money we could try.

Talk us through what we would need lol.

Am just fed-up of the hutches all over the place, may aswell try get it down to one big one!

xx

it all came from B and Q, was the cheapest for us but you may be able to find cheaper wood.

we got all out bolts etc from local bootfairs, 50p a bolt as opposed to £2.99 from B and Q. mesh was from Focus, £20 for big roll.

all the rest was spend on the 12mm ply, and the thick baton :D

I have a 4 foot by 2 foot tower block from Ryedale I had the doors changed as they are in a shed and they have no divider. They are not as tall as the normal ones they sell as they wouldnt fit in my shed. Ryedale were very obliging with making changes, kept me informed about delivery and also delivered nice and early one Sunday morning before I went off to work.
2hebl2s.jpg

Ryedales version

CIMG0118-1.jpg

My addapted doctored version

it all came from B and Q, was the cheapest for us but you may be able to find cheaper wood.

we got all out bolts etc from local bootfairs, 50p a bolt as opposed to £2.99 from B and Q. mesh was from Focus, £20 for big roll.

all the rest was spend on the 12mm ply, and the thick baton :D

Thanks hun!!!

Do you have a picture, something for us to work towards i guess?

yeh sure il sort some out later, obviously the dimensoms woudl be different but i cant see it costing more at all tbh

I have a 4 foot by 2 foot tower block from Ryedale I had the doors changed as they are in a shed and they have no divider. They are not as tall as the normal ones they sell as they wouldnt fit in my shed. Ryedale were very obliging with making changes, kept me informed about delivery and also delivered nice and early one Sunday morning before I went off to work.
2hebl2s.jpg

Ryedales version

CIMG0118-1.jpg

My addapted doctored version

Wow, if you dont mind me asking how much did that cost? Mine would have to be outdoors sadly

It was just over £300 but far superior to any other hutches I have seen. This one could be used outside if I perspex on one side or got a wooden door cover for one of the doors. I have put correx on the floor of it and the floors look like new, apart from the odd tiny stain. Obviously the normal ones they sell which mine is a version of can be outside.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=145074&highlight=happy+hutch
the above thread is worth a read, like anything all hutches need to be looked after and immediate repairs should be made if they are to survive longer. Most manufactures hutches do suggest that they are treated every 6 months if they are to survive longer, the majority of hutches are not reguarly treated.

Ryedale hutches are made from thicker wood and most hutches with care will last longer than those with thinner wood. Certainly with Ryedale you pay extra whcih will mean that the hutches will last longer, buying cheaper hutches in contrast may not be cheaper in the long run. Advise I would give is to avoid plywood.

Mine is just over 5 foot tall, do consider not starting right on the floor as cleaning out on wet days will not be very easy without getting filthy.

Yeah. Im just worried if i cant reach top.
How high should a GP hutch be? Its recommended 2foot for rabbits, what about GP's?

I love the Ryedale ones, just dont have money for that!

Mine is just over 5 foot tall, do consider not starting right on the floor as cleaning out on wet days will not be very easy without getting filthy.

yeh our bottom level is the least used out of all of them bcus i hate usuing the bottom one lol!

Back