• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kermit just back from VHD Vaccine. - UPDATE!!! He has got Cylap Limp

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
Just got my wee boy his VHD vaccine for the first time.

Looking ok so far - just hope he doesnt get the dreaded limp!

Last edited:
least if he does get it youll know what it is and not think youve broken him like we did with Alvin :oops::oops::oops:

least if he does get it youll know what it is and not think youve broken him like we did with Alvin :oops::oops::oops:

I suppose the knowledge of the symptom is a bonus.....you must have been worried sick thinking he had a broke leg!!

I suppose the knowledge of the symptom is a bonus.....you must have been worried sick thinking he had a broke leg!!

well he was really quiet after the jab, me and ste were very inexperienced with him and my brother came to the house with his dog, so as we tried to catch alvin to put him safe in his cage he lept from stes arms the next day he was limping and i spent the day calling ste a rabbit killer, went the vets and everything.. werent till a thread that Jane did i twigged hed got the bleeding VHD limp and ste hadnt broke him after all :oops::oops:

Is it the leg they inject?

Jack went for his this morning but i didn't see the vet do it as i was trying to fix the carrier. :oops:

Honestly, had a terrible day.....kermit has been soo quiet and he has got a limp, i was so worried about this, and now its happened!

He is just sitting there in the one spot, then move for a pee and a poo and to eat, but his left leg definatly has the limp!

The fact that he is eating, drinking, peeing & pooing makes me think he will be ok, but any reassurance would be good

Honestly, had a terrible day.....kermit has been soo quiet and he has got a limp, i was so worried about this, and now its happened!

He is just sitting there in the one spot, then move for a pee and a poo and to eat, but his left leg definatly has the limp!

The fact that he is eating, drinking, peeing & pooing makes me think he will be ok, but any reassurance would be good

Try not to worry too much :)
The limp should disappear within a couple of days. You could request some Metacam from your Vet to reduce the discomfort but dont be surprised if your Vet says that CYLAP does not cause a limp :roll:

I sent tons of reports to the manufacturer of cases of post vaccination limp and they were supposed to be considering putting the possible side-effect on the Vaccine Data Information Sheet. Thus far they have refused to do so and consequently many Vets are saying that the vaccine 'does not cause a limp as there is no mention of it on the Data Information Sheet'.................:censored:
Some people have paid out over a £100 for Xrays and emergency consults as a result :censored:

As long as Kermit is eating and pooing then just keep an eye on him and contact your Vet if Kermit appears to be in a lot of discomfort. A warm compress over his shoulders will help. Its not the leg that is effected as such but the nerves and muscles near the injection site. Keep gently massaging the injection site too. The vaccine is in a dense oil base and it can take some time to disperse. Hopefully your Vet told you this........:?

Thanks Jane, a very reassuring and knowledgeable post (as usual!!) xx

Yes the vet told me about massaging the injection site, have been doing that any time im stroking him.I did say to the vet before he got it done about the limp, and as you would think, she did say that she hadnt heard of this. Im going to phone her up on monday to tell her that he got it. If it wasnt going to stress kermit out any more i would physically take him to show her!!

Its just typical that i was so worried about this happening that it did!

I am glad however that i know whats caused it.

aww sorry he had the limp i had stitches vhd done friday. i am lucky he had no syptoms and was fine as usual. hope he is fine now xx

Thanks everyone.

He still has the limp today, but is managing to get about a lot better, he was sitting still alot of yesterday.

At least i dont have to worry about it again for a year!

Thanks everyone.

He still has the limp today, but is managing to get about a lot better, he was sitting still alot of yesterday.

At least i dont have to worry about it again for a year!

not being a vet and having the experience of just one bunny :lol::lol:

he may not get it next year.. Alvin didnt get it again :D:D

i got pearls scabs to worry about too.. im hoping these reactions are a first time thing only *everything crossed*

my vet always says if you get any limp to report it to them. I think as jane says the manufacturers say it isn't a side effect at the moment but they are checking the evidence so it needs to be reported to the drug manufacturer.

my vet always says if you get any limp to report it to them. I think as jane says the manufacturers say it isn't a side effect at the moment but they are checking the evidence so it needs to be reported to the drug manufacturer.

Ill do that tomorrow for definate.

He seems a bit better tonight, still not running about much though :(

My Fudge had limp after his VHD and he was very wobbly kept falling over :cry: I had to bring him and his friends into the house and phoned the emergency vet at midnight :shock: the poor vet was in bed sleeping.

Back