• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Happy hutch

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have the hutch/run combo...6x2x2 and the 6x4 run or the 6x2x2 single hutch...

If so what are your thoughts?

Yes, I've got the 6 x 2 x 2 with 6 x 4 foot run underneath in my spare bedroom, it's my nursery for a pregnant doe and then when she has the babies, they're great

I have both and they are ok. Ignore the lousy building instructions and use your brain instead. And in the hutch and run combo, screw the bit that holds the ramp onto the ramp. It is only stapled onto it, and the ramp once fell down when my smallest bunny (at that time) was on it.
Make sure you get a shiplap hutch, not the one that's made from plywood only. I had to add extra sealant to that, as water was leaking into it.
Secure the roof with a padlock or something similar. I use a wooden stick and it only took one heavy gust to rip off the complete roof.
The hinges are not the best quality, keep an eye on them and replace them, if necessary.

I have one - for size it is great. There are a few design issues for me... the run lid lifts up and towards the hutch making it impossible to stand in the run close to the hutch to open the doors to clean it out.. so you have to lean into the hutch over the run (not good when you are little).

The ramp needs securing as it has slipped down into the run and is a pain to take down/put up if you close the bunnies in of a night.

Other than the above I am generally happy with it.

Ive never had a problem with the ramp but have to say my run cover isnt attached at all so that i can just lift it off,its easier to use that way.

Overall I would say it's good value for the price, but it's not perfect.

I have the 6x2 hutch and 6x4 run combo, and had some problems with water soaking through the joins in the tongue and groove sides. However, I've reatreated the hutch and sealed all the joins with silicon and it's been fine since. ;)

For me, the hinged roof is a bit redundant since I'm not tall enough to be able to lean into the hutch via the roof opening anyway :lol: so I just keep it locked. I put my hutch at the front of the run, so that it was easy to reach into the hutch to clean it out but it means the lid of the run opens up towards the back of the hutch (I would have preferred it opening the other way so it would lean against the fence behind). For now it means somebody has to hold the lid up while the other person gets into the run it sweep it out.

DSCF6576700x525.jpg

I also assumed that the run would be 2ft high, same as the hutch but it was only 20 inches (I'm 99% sure it didn't mention the height on the ebay listing). It's not a huge problem because Alfie is only small and still has room to periscope, but worth bearing in mind for slightly larger buns.

I have one of these and have never had any problems with it. I did secure the ramp as my buns are heavey tho. They make the runs themselves so if you want it taller they will do that for you.

Overall I would say it's good value for the price, but it's not perfect.

I have the 6x2 hutch and 6x4 run combo, and had some problems with water soaking through the joins in the tongue and groove sides. However, I've reatreated the hutch and sealed all the joins with silicon and it's been fine since. ;)

For me, the hinged roof is a bit redundant since I'm not tall enough to be able to lean into the hutch via the roof opening anyway :lol: so I just keep it locked. I put my hutch at the front of the run, so that it was easy to reach into the hutch to clean it out but it means the lid of the run opens up towards the back of the hutch (I would have preferred it opening the other way so it would lean against the fence behind). For now it means somebody has to hold the lid up while the other person gets into the run it sweep it out.

DSCF6576700x525.jpg

I also assumed that the run would be 2ft high, same as the hutch but it was only 20 inches (I'm 99% sure it didn't mention the height on the ebay listing). It's not a huge problem because Alfie is only small and still has room to periscope, but worth bearing in mind for slightly larger buns.

My run is 2 ft high, but I think they changed the design a short while after I bought my combo. We also have the hutch at the front of the run, and the lid of the run opening towards the back of the hutch. We attached a little hook to the hutch and a little metal ring to the lid, so I can hang up the lid there while cleaning the run. We also put an extra rain cover from below the roof overhang down across the lid and to the back of the run, because water would leak into the gap between the lid and the hutch.

My run is 2 ft high, but I think they changed the design a short while after I bought my combo. We also have the hutch at the front of the run, and the lid of the run opening towards the back of the hutch. We attached a little hook to the hutch and a little metal ring to the lid, so I can hang up the lid there while cleaning the run. We also put an extra rain cover from below the roof overhang down across the lid and to the back of the run, because water would leak into the gap between the lid and the hutch.

Clever! I have the same problem and I think I'll do what you've done :D

I've also got the hutch/run combo, I've not had any problems (so far) with leaks or anything but I really wish I had bought a shed/playhouse instead. I put the run lid on the 'wrong' way around so it opens away from the hutch and I can easily reach into the hutch for cleaning, removing ramp, etc. I also covered the lid with shed felt so my buns can get out even if its raining. I would also secure the wood that goes across the trapdoor thingy as somehow my buns managed to get one of and it had nasty nails poking through, luckily buns didn't get hurt.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/Bevvy123/SMqROAA7BgI/AAAAAAAAAt0/upRwG1ycj8Q/s512/100_0541.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/Bevvy123/SMqRL9Fwr1I/AAAAAAAAAts/4tJewJtqQzQ/s512/100_0540.JPG

We attached a little hook to the hutch and a little metal ring to the lid, so I can hang up the lid there while cleaning the run.

Aaah, that's a good idea! :D:D Well, maybe not - because I usually get dh to sweep the run while I hold the lid. This would mean I would have to do it myself. :lol:

where did you get those little clamp things from to hold the tarpauline in place?

I have quite a collection of them now from all over the place. :oops: I think they're called spring clamps, normally used for diy. Some were from Screwfix but they were quite expensive - the rest were from a pound shop, Tesco (in a £1 bin with other diy stuff), Instore/Poundstretcher. :D

I have quite a collection of them now from all over the place. :oops: I think they're called spring clamps, normally used for diy. Some were from Screwfix but they were quite expensive - the rest were from a pound shop, Tesco (in a £1 bin with other diy stuff), Instore/Poundstretcher. :D

Thank you.. just found some on Amazon actually and ordered eight for the two hutches (thinking four each will be about right).

Expecting a windy winter :roll::lol:

I have a happy hutch for my guineas and it's such a good quality hutch.
it's a 6ft hutch and 6ft run combo.

Thanks for everyones replies and tips and ideas.
We unfortunately dont have space for the run/hutch combo, due to our playhouse, our 10ft run/hutch combo thingie and the Guinea Pigs, so were going to have to get a 6x2x2 and then a folding run separate.

:)

Back