• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Frail bunny - has her time come

Shazza

Warren Scout
Apologies for the long message....

My lovely Bella has been deteriorating for a long time now. She is nearly 6 years old and has arthritus. She's been declining since the beginning of the year, but despite this has remained happy, alert and very fond of her food. She's been under the care of the vet and has had a few steroid injections which had helped her, but seem to be having less of an effect now. She's also lost weight and is very frail now. And is also incontinent, and often has a wet bottom.

Two weeks ago she went off her food. I took her to the vets and as suspected, it was her teeth again (she suffers every few months with spurs). I was preparing for the worst as she is obviously very frail, but felt that as she was still happy and eating up until then it was a risk worth taking. She pulled through the op and anaesthetic and was amazingly up and bobbing about later that evening.

I went away for a few days last week. I had a call from the lady looking after her to say that she had found her in the hutch in a sorry state with an absess on her back (other bun had bitten her - charming!). Vet decided she needed stitches - she was given antibiotics. Bella was still happy and eating and amazingly made it through another anaesthetic on monday. she's currently separated from the other bun. Despite this and having a 2 inch scar on her back, stitches and staples, she has remained amazingly lively. what a brave bun!

I came in today to find she seems to be putting no weight on one of her legs and almost dragging herself along. She appears to have no strength in it to hold herself up. Obviously, she's been quite poor on her feet for a while so it is likely to be a deterioration of this or linked to her recent op. Although the scar is healing well and she's on antibiotics. She's still eating and cuddly, but less lively than usual.

I'm just sitting here wondering now, whether I am being fair to keep her going any longer? :( As long as she has been happy and lively and not in obvious pain, I have been happy looking after her. And she has been the most beautiful and wonderful bunny in the world. But it is breaking my heart looking at her as all I can see for her now is more discomfort and pain. There's nothing that can be done to cure her, she constantly got a wet bum now which isn't good, all that can be done is to keep her as comfortable as possible.

Has anyone got any words of wisdom? I've cried so many times in the last couple of weeks as I can see what's coming and I'm amazed she's made it this far, but tonight I guess I've just reached that stage when I really have to honestly ask myself whether it is fair anymore.

All I can say is how sorry I am that the time may have come.

Only you will know if it's the right time. I promise you, you will know.

Take some peace from the fact that you have given her the best life that she could have achieved given her circumstances; as with all comings and goings in life, she will be much missed when it's her time, but we all have to go and although sad, we have to accept that this is how life works.

Give her loads of nose snogs from me and all the other bunny lovers who will miss her little footsteps even though we haven't met her.

We'll all meet up at the rainbow bridge.

Big hugs for you.

H x

My lovely Bella has been deteriorating for a long time now. She is nearly 6 years old and has arthritus. She's been declining since the beginning of the year, but despite this has remained happy, alert and very fond of her food. She's been under the care of the vet and has had a few steroid injections which had helped her, but seem to be having less of an effect now. She's also lost weight and is very frail now. And is also incontinent, and often has a wet bottom.

Two weeks ago she went off her food. I took her to the vets and as suspected, it was her teeth again (she suffers every few months with spurs). I was preparing for the worst as she is obviously very frail, but felt that as she was still happy and eating up until then it was a risk worth taking. She pulled through the op and anaesthetic and was amazingly up and bobbing about later that evening.

I went away for a few days last week. I had a call from the lady looking after her to say that she had found her in the hutch in a sorry state with an absess on her back (other bun had bitten her - charming!). Vet decided she needed stitches - she was given antibiotics. Bella was still happy and eating and amazingly made it through another anaesthetic on monday. she's currently separated from the other bun. Despite this and having a 2 inch scar on her back, stitches and staples, she has remained amazingly lively. what a brave bun!

I came in today to find she seems to be putting no weight on one of her legs and almost dragging herself along. She appears to have no strength in it to hold herself up. Obviously, she's been quite poor on her feet for a while so it is likely to be a deterioration of this or linked to her recent op. Although the scar is healing well and she's on antibiotics. She's still eating and cuddly, but less lively than usual.

I'm just sitting here wondering now, whether I am being fair to keep her going any longer? :( As long as she has been happy and lively and not in obvious pain, I have been happy looking after her. And she has been the most beautiful and wonderful bunny in the world. But it is breaking my heart looking at her as all I can see for her now is more discomfort and pain. There's nothing that can be done to cure her, she constantly got a wet bum now which isn't good, all that can be done is to keep her as comfortable as possible.

Has anyone got any words of wisdom? I've cried so many times in the last couple of weeks as I can see what's coming and I'm amazed she's made it this far, but tonight I guess I've just reached that stage when I really have to honestly ask myself whether it is fair anymore.

hmm a tricky one. is she on pain relief? i would put her on metacam if she isnt alread.as athritus can be painful also get glucosamine as this is good for elderly buns with athritus it helps. if you feel her life quality is bad(and only oyu and a vet can really tell) then i gues its sadly her time. but i would see if there wer eany other avenues available to her for exapmle teeth can be done without ga(less tressful and less major for older buns) but only some vets will do it.. that would possiibly help too ... pm jacks jane she is very good with elderly buns adn their needs she might have some tricks that may help good luck x

Is it the back left leg she was dragging?

You may be looking at E. Cuniculi possibly brought on by her spurs and rundown state.

No one can make the decision as to whether or not it is the right time apart from you and her. Look into her eyes. Think about the situation. Think about what she would want you to do.

Do she have a quality of life?

If you choose to let her go, that is the supreme, and final act of love, and comes from someone who loves their animal and puts their animals needs before their own.

Whatever you decide to do though, it will be right :) Trust your gut.

I don't really know what to say, apart from I am thinking of you at this difficult time and know that you will make the right decision for your beloved bunny.

Is she an outdoor bunny? If so, the recent cold weather may be making her arthritis worse. Personally I'd bring her in the house. I bet there's an underlying problem because a 6 year old bunny shouldn't really have so many signs of old age.

As others have said, nobody can really advise you of the right time to have her put to sleep, but if the limp has only happened recently, perhaps put her on an anti-inflammatory/painkiller such as matacam (buns tolerate relatively high doses of metacam very well) and see how she copes before making any decisions.

Good luck :)

after reading the other posts... if it is ec you could put her on a course of pannacur to see if it will help? x

Thanks guys for your responses.

She's always been an indoor bunny. Her health has been failing since new year really. She's wasted away at the back end and is very skinny now despite having the appetite of an ox. There is no muscle on her back feet and legs and she's been limping for a while now. She was on a course of panacur a few months back in case it was e cuniculi but it made no difference to her gait and incontinence so we ruled that out. Vet said arthritus or maybe even a spinal tumour. She's had steroid injections over the past few months which helped at first but now don't seem to do much for her. She's had a bit of metacam during the week before and after her op.

anyway, last night she was very uncomfortable in the night. It is her back right leg. she can't even hold herself up - the other leg is not much stronger anyway. I could hear her shuffling all night - she couldn't seem to even lay or sit in a comfortable position. I picked her up last night and she seemed to have no power in her legs at all. She can't really get in and out of her cage alone either. And this morning she seems to have lost her sparkle and actually looks in pain now. she's only eaten a tiny bit of food today. she's in a kind of weird sideways almost lying position.

I was wavering last night, but having seen how she is today..... I always said that as long as I thought she was happy and content we could cope with it, but now I don't think she is and it is with heavy heart and much sadness that I do think it is time to say goodbye to my sweet baby. :(:(:( She has that sad look in her eyes, and I think she is suffering now.

we are going to see the vet tomorrow am - unless he disagrees with me and thinks there are other avenues to pursue, but from conversations we have had, I'm not sure he will.

I'm going to spoil my baby rotten today with hugs and nose rubs.

I'm so sorry you are having to make this decision :cry:

I'm sure you'll do the best for her.

Thinking of you xxx

You have made a decision based on what is best for her and that'd all you can do.

It's good that you have some time to shower her with love and to say goodbye. I hope she has an amazing day with you.

On the topic of EC, there is some debate over in the US as to whether fenbendazole actually get through to the EC parasite. I have known people whose buns have had EC and been on fenbendazole (which is the active ingredient of panacur) for 2 months and they still deteriorated. Either way though, you have done absolutely everything for her and I am sure she will be very grateful to you for the love you have given her.

She's a lucky girl :) I'm just sorry you are having to go through this pain.

Back