• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What wood do i need for outdoor housing?

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
Hi everyone, as title suggests, what kind of wood do i use for outdoor accmodation which i safe for buns?

Am making a huge hutch with 12ft run per pair when we move in a few weeks and am so excited!!

just had a flashback too, dreamt last night that a bloke said 12ft was too big coz the buns would never be able to find their food!!! lol!!! i dream the strangest things.

thanks i advance
x

does it need treating? i've used b& wood before but just bought untreated stuff. but because of the size and expense of the new housing, I will need it to last!!
thanku!

wat do i need to treat it with? sorry for being so diy useless!!! my OH has asked me to find out as he's building it for me! :D
(actually making two, one for each pair!)

Hiya :wave:

We recently built a run for our bunnies :) We used 2x2 timber from B&Q (it comes in 8ft lengths) and painted it with pet friendly stain from pets at home.

As for the hutch tounge and groove? :? Maybe lined with hardboard or something similar :) Hope you get on ok... look foward to pics :D :D

Hiya :wave:

We recently built a run for our bunnies :) We used 2x2 timber from B&Q (it comes in 8ft lengths) and painted it with pet friendly stain from pets at home.

As for the hutch tounge and groove? :? Maybe lined with hardboard or something similar :) Hope you get on ok... look foward to pics :D :D

brill - thanks!! i can't wait!!!!! :D

Just a general pine wood is fine, as has been said you should treat it with some stain for it to last through the weather.

For 'sheets' of wood you probably wanna go for plywood, this can be treated and is strong and rabbits can't easily munch through it. Avoid MDF as it goes soggy in the wet. Avoid chipboard because rabbits can litterally chomp through it.

Use shed felt on top and around the sides of your hutch to give it even more weather protection

Hope this was of some help :)

Just a general pine wood is fine, as has been said you should treat it with some stain for it to last through the weather.

For 'sheets' of wood you probably wanna go for plywood, this can be treated and is strong and rabbits can't easily munch through it. Avoid MDF as it goes soggy in the wet. Avoid chipboard because rabbits can litterally chomp through it.

Use shed felt on top and around the sides of your hutch to give it even more weather protection

Hope this was of some help :)

thanks. is tanalised wood ok for buns?

Back