• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mesh doors on playhouses

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I'm being a bit brain dead and can't work out how to put a mesh door on my playhouse while still keeping the main door on to shut at night.

how have other people done it? and could I see piccys please :D

i havent done it but i recon it would be done by putting a hinged wooden frame with mesh onto inside of the playhouse so it opens inwards.... then the outter door could open as normal? good luck x

i havent done it but i recon it would be done by putting a hinged wooden frame with mesh onto inside of the playhouse so it opens inwards.... then the outter door could open as normal? good luck x

that's what i've done. i'll see if i can dig out some pics.......

Hellooooo

I've done a few now. I just made the door from 4 battens of Wickes timber and they fixed it on normal hinges. The second wendy house I did, was a bit easier, and the door closes by way of a hasp and staple and a clip that goes through it. I just made sure that I fixed it where there was still room for the outer door to close over the hasp and staple - this was where the window was so there was a bit of a recess giving a bit of space.

I'll see if I can take some piccis and post tomorrow morning for you.

That's absolutely what I have done, but it's finding a way of fixing it closed that makes it all a bit tricky. I have tried a few methods now, but it does depend on how your outer door closes and how much room you have in between the two doors.:D

My main worry was if I have to close the mesh door inwards at night to shut the main door the bunnies will eat it :?

I haven't had a problem with the buns munching the doors. The fit fairly flush so there's not really anywhere that they can get hold of it at floor level. You could just make sure that the weldmesh wraps around the edges - that'll prevent massive destruction!

Have just taken a couple of pictures, sorry they aren't very good, camera doesn't like focusing on close up stuff and Macro won't work.:(

This is the second one I did - hinges in the corner of the wendy house mean that the door sits very closely to the wall and no chance of bunny attack - but as it is on the back of the door frame it means that the outside door closes as normal
IMG_1640.jpg

The little bit of framing at the top of the door gave me something to use a turn button with so that the door closes in two places
IMG_1641.jpg

If your doors don't have anything like this you could always add a small piece of timber on one corner.

The hasp was attached in reverse kindathing - so that the screws attaching the top part are put through the back of the fixing, whereas normally it would be attached and then have the long flappy bit folded back over it. Sorry if I am confusing things....

IMG_1642.jpg

On the first door I did, I put framing around the whole door and used a large metal rod/nail type thing and put it through a hole in the door and the frame. Not as secure but it works fine and we don't have any security issues as the outer door is locked when we aren't here/at night - they have access 24/7 to the run.

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

I am sure that wasn't much help but it may have given a lightbulb moment of you own.

Look forward to seeing your efforts!

Helen

Thanks Helen that has been really helpful. We are going to the Garden centre today to order the playhouse so I will have a really good look at the display one and see if your idea will work :D

Can't wait to get it as it will keep my oldest couple snug and warm this winter. Their hutch is well past it's use by date :lol:

Love to know how you get on. I am sure that as soon as you see the existing door etc on the house you want to have, you'll work out how to do your particular one straight away.

Happy building!

Helen

Back