• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Major issue please help.

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
Petal is in gettin nutured today and i got my O/H to order me a dog crate for her to keep her inside, we ordered it on saturday, but he didn't both to check up on the status, so i checked last night and the guy needed another £8 because we're in N.I, but he just told me there it's going to take 3-4days (i'm raging cos i really needed it and if he'd bothered his backside to check up it, it would be here!!!! men!!!:roll:) anyway no point in shouting at him won't help. so what can i do for her? she can't stay in her carry for 3 days, so has anyone got any ideas as a temporary messure to put her in? want her to be comfy too.

could you make something temporarily up with bits of wood / furniture / cardboard boxes, with some carpet cuttings and old towels on the floor......not ideal i know, but may be best just now, and its only for a few days.

well i have a cradboard box, but was scared incase she'd jump out if it, she quit nosiy and be worried she'd get annoyed not being able to see about her. :(

If it comes to it - you could leave her in her carrier in the bathroom (or another small room) then she can have peace and quiet and still stay safe?

Maybe block off part of a room so she can get in and out the box as she pleases?

Hope your crate comes soon!

yeah i had hoped to keep in the front room with us where she'll have some company, just hate when things don't work out the way i want/need them too. nightmare. the bathroom can be cold as it's all tiled. worse comes to worse i could ask my neighbour for an indoor hutch but don't like asking them. just feel awkward asking. :(

was thinking that tomhighway, was trying to think with what lol. o i don't know. i just hope she's ok, i've to ring at 4 here. no news is good news.

Do you have any part of your home you could cordon off with a piece of wood/stairgate/peice of furniture-needs to be about 3 & 1/2ft to 4ft in height.

She won't be able to have woodchips straw or hay so use old towels for her to lie on. Do you have a large cardboard box to use as a "hutch"?
There should be no electrical wires she could chew and nothing she could jump on or out of.
. Have you bought bags of shredded paper from the vets to use instead of woodchips? You could line the floor with newspaper. We once adapted an ottoman in desperation, for 2 rescue buns overnight(not spayed tho)...?

She must not move about too much (I doubt that she'll want to)and should be monitored for the first 24hrs as her temp can vary. if you have nowhere to keep her you might think about leaving her an extra night at the vets?-Sue:wave:

Yes - I think maybe keeping her in the carrier in the front room might be your best option for now-at least it will be somewhere familiar to her, though it might be a bit cramped-they need to have room to move a bit-depends how long she'll be in there.

Last edited:
I let bugsy and lottie have the run of the front room.

Removed all the wires etc.. and just let her run about, youll find she wont want to run about much anyways..

You could always lay down newspaper is she litter trained?

well i have this lovely blue blanket for her and a heat up teddy, lol just theres so little room the the carrier, i've it lined at the mo with newspaper and some of her litter (yeah she litter trained) at the back of it, cos last time that ted went the carrier was covered in pee and so was she, i didn't think the vets kept them in the carriers all night. well i may go home and investigate whats in the roof space that we could use. i could cordon part of the room off and i've got extra carpet incase hubby worried she might make a mess. i'll keep her in the carrier tonight so i can monitor her and i took tomorrow off so i can nurse her (got alot abuse for that but she's my baby). just would've been nice to be able to continually see her. ooooooooo so anxious.

How about a kitchen or a bathroom? Small area, maybe with a floor that can be wiped easily unless you have carpets?

That way if she decides she doesnt want to use her tray no harm done.

Dont be anxious were all here to help :).. I have been through two traumatic speys, and know them quite well and what to do.. So long as she eats and drinks she shoudl be fine :)..

Is there no way you could bring her hutch in doors?.. is it a one level hutch?

Might make it easier :) clear out all bedding though.. I put lottie on shredded newspaper, but dont use shavings or hay.. only provide a small amoutn for her to eat :)

well husband suggest bring their hutch into the shed, but it wouldn't be warm enough, no i wouldn't use the shavings as i would imagine that would make her itchy. i bought her a babygrow to put on, put piccs of her on the health section. the thing is do they move about much after it, i'd be scared to lift her. still two hours to go till i can ring the vets. maybe she might be alright in the carrier for at least two's maybe a mircale might have happend and the dog crate will have arrived.

I'd let her have the run of the bathroom or similar small room. Unless you're shy of piddling in front of a rabbit, that is. ;)

If she's an outdoor bunny especially, she'll appreciate the peace and quiet of that more than being in the living room with the TV on etc... and you can check on her every hour or two rather than hovering over her worrying. Animals pick up on our vibes very easily and it might be more relaxing for both of you (I know coz I do it myself).

well she's semi out doors, she runs about the house in the evening time. well at 4.00 i'll find out if she's coming home or not. thanks everyone for your advice and ideas. really appreciate it. :love:

If you could bring her hutch indoors that would be great. that way she will feel at home and stay warm. I would urge you not to put the baby grow on until she starts knawing at the stitches..

Lottie managed to rip all of hers out in one night.. whereas Bugsy didnt even lick them

Different rabbits do different things you might be ok :)

don't think hubby would want the hutch indoors ;), i've a thistle hall which is seperate, so ted sleeps upstairs and petal downstairs. yeah if she looks like she's going for them then i'll put it on just she's a chewer and a determine one at it, so want to be prepared, lol. 30 mins to go till i can ring about her.

just phoned vets there, she's still sleepy apparently but she's due another syringe feed at 6 so i've to ring after then, is that normal?

Back