• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What age is a bun "old"?

I always think of bunnies over the age of 5 as starting to get old, but even then some of them are only middle aged :)

no way!! -my buns are 10yrs and 9yrs old and I have had other "old" buns too.

but I think the oldest bun I've heard of was 16yrs?.
Oldie_Bunny on here has lots of old buns.

I think 10yrs is quite normal -though often they go on to 12yrs+

You will have lots of bunny cuddle time yet!:D-Sue:wave:

I think it varies between individuals. Some seem old at 5-6 years whilst others are still sprightly at 9-10 years :)

I know it was recommended somewhere (possibly by the House Rabbit Society :? ) that rabbit over the age of 5 years should have an annual blood test to check their general health.

I think 1 human year = 8 rabbit years is a sensible rough guide. So a 6 year old rabbit would be middle aged; about the time when humans should probably start to be a bit more careful when it comes to health too. Anything 10+ is definately old :lol:

I agree that it depends on the rabbits. I've had a near 12 year old, and a 9 year old who didn't realise they were old, and a 7 year old who KNEW he was old, and a 5 year old who knew he was old too.

I guess like with people, you're as old as you feel, to a certain extent.

My NZ white looks a bit scraggly sometimes & aging, but that's all. The others are as spritely as ever:D

Back