• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Having GA on older Buns.

janjan

Alpha Buck
What's the risk for a 6yr old bun having GA ?
As i suspect Sparkle as spurs and she going to vets Friday. :cry:
Because she's 6 i'm worried i might lose her. :cry:

A GA carries risks for any animal, but logic says it would be harder for an older, or ill bun.

I had a 7 year old go under for spurs and he came around fine.

If they need to be done, they need to be done because it's either risk the GA, or have them die a slow painful death from spurs, abscesses and infections (as I'm sure you know). I thought it worth the risk for mine, and it paid off. Hopefully yours will too.

She had a runny eye about a month ago, lasted a few days and cleared up so i thought might haave had something go into it. Never had anything wrong with her, but its started again this week so even though she's eating fine, and because she's 6 if it's spurs it will have to be done.

well sooty had a ga at age 9yrs for her spey she was fine. make sure your vet is competant at doing older buns as jason(who did sooty) siad he did a lot of dentals on elderly buns before im sure many other vets are he same. x

What's the risk for a 6yr old bun having GA ?
As i suspect Sparkle as spurs and she going to vets Friday. :cry:
Because she's 6 i'm worried i might lose her. :cry:

Why don't you take her to a vet that does conscious clipping?, there are several in the midlands

There is Rebecaa Rowe at Bells in Leamington Spa and there is Rebecca Frost at the Pets Vaccination Clinic in Coventry, they both do it for £10 without a GA

Thanks for the info, she's booked into local vet's I've used for Digger in the past, but if it is her teeth, and will be on going i will have to try Coventry.

I'd honestly be happier with a GA if she was mine. I find it too distressing to physically restrain a terrified rabbit to get to their molars. To actually see what you're doing a large amount of metalwork is needed to keep the mouth open and get the instruments in. Plus working with a high speed burr (hopefully they've not resorted to clipping...) there's a high change of causing damage if the rabbit moves at all. Not to mention the effect of catecholamine release (stress hormones) and their destabilising effect on the heart. Make sure a full cardiac evaluation is carried out before they try this. Cheap and quick but really not the best option for a rabbit.

I know some people are against teeth work without a GA..but I have personally known 5 people who have lost their buns either during or soon after a GA dental in the last year..all different vets ..yet I've never known anyone lose one after a conscious dental :?

I have 2 dental buns who have their teeth burred without GA, but they are both very calm. However, I have been told that if Milo ever needs a dental he will need a GA because he is very nervous. Personally I think it depends on the rabbit and how well the owner and vet know the rabbit:D Also both buns now eat more hay and one of them has improved so much she needs less visits:D

Back