• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

MDF... is it safe to use??

tigerbabe

Mama Doe
Like the title says really :)

The bottom part of the divide in my bunny shed is MDF, I know there are health problems for people in terms of breathing the dust so I've started to wonder if it's safe for the divide to be made from it. I suppose I'm mainly worried about them chewing it :?

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't use MDF, Hardboard is much lighter, easier to use and cheaper, Mdf is just sawdust mixed with glue and pressed, I wouldn't use it :shock:

Im not sure if that helped lol :roll:

molly2.jpg
benjy.jpg
merlin2.jpg
rubybath.jpg

It's pretty safe. I'd think the worst they would do is to bite it to pieces because MDF isn't very strong. If they tried to eat it I don't suppose it would be good, but I shouldn't imagine they would try.

I wouldn't use it to be honest. Not worth the risk. A small piece of ply would be much better and is cheaper too!

i wouldnt use mdf unless its been sealed, get anything wet on it and it will work like chipboard and crumble, plus the fumes from the dust, and the glue are not safe for noses or tummies ply is much better you can get cheap off cuts from local diy stores or the chain stores

Thanks for the replies :D

I've already got the ply to replace it with, I just wanted to see what other people thought.

Back