• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Prescription Charges

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Is it this month that vets can start charging for prescriptions?

Are they able to charge what they like or is there a set price?

Thank you:)

I hadn't heard about this? Would that be an extra charge on top of the medicine??

No, you can choose to have a prescription from your vet and buy the medicine online where it is usually much cheaper, rather than buying the medicines directly from your vet.
At the moment the prescriptions are free, but this month vets are allowed to charge for them.
If you continue buying your meds from your vet it wont make any difference to you:D

:shock::shock::shock: I know. Luckly everytime i go in now I am getting scripts to stock up;)

" Vets must not charge different prices or fees to those who take a prescription and those who do not. " from the site quoted above.

to me this implies that everyone will be charged for a prescription , regardless of where they buy the medicine.

You do have to pay for the medicine as well as the prescription.

It may not affect overall prices because vets may have added the cost of dealing with prescriptions onto their consultation charges before hand but could now charge them seperately.

It depends entirely on your own vet however.

So if they are now going to add the cost of a prescription on to meds bought from the vet, it definately still works out cheaper to get the prescription and buy the drugs online

" Vets must not charge different prices or fees to those who take a prescription and those who do not. " from the site quoted above...to me this implies that everyone will be charged for a prescription , regardless of where they buy the medicine.

I read it differently - in essence if the vet is dispensing the drugs to you directly you don't need a written prescription as such, as the authorised professional is giving them to you directly. I think it's saying that, for example, they can't charge you a £20 consultation fee if you get your drugs from them, but charge you a £30 consultation fee if you ask for a prescription. Be interesting to find out how it is all going to work!

I read it differently - in essence if the vet is dispensing the drugs to you directly you don't need a written prescription as such, as the authorised professional is giving them to you directly. I think it's saying that, for example, they can't charge you a £20 consultation fee if you get your drugs from them, but charge you a £30 consultation fee if you ask for a prescription. Be interesting to find out how it is all going to work!

That actually makes more sense as it seems to be refering to the period before the vets can charge for prescriptions

That's how I understand it and how my vet explained it to me, the charge for the prescription is only if you are taking the prescription away to be dispensed somewhere else

if you buy it online, how can you get the medicine right away? It's not worth saving the money unless it's re-fill medicine.

Also, some medicine must be stored in the fridge, so it can't be mail to you from an online store

if you buy it online, how can you get the medicine right away? It's not worth saving the money unless it's re-fill medicine.

Also, some medicine must be stored in the fridge, so it can't be mail to you from an online store

They are very quick, it's usually sent in 24 hours. I only use prescriptions for metacam at the moment as it is the only thing I use large quantities of, and I always ask for a prescription well in advance.

Back