• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Losing one of my babies :(

buffytariq

Young Bun
I recently lost one of my baby rabbits which i bred myself. She was only 5 weeks old but she had a gut infection which made her go almost paralyzed and very lethargic and floppy when you hold her. She seemed better when i warmed her up. I took her to the vet and she had antibiotics and rehydration fluids and survived 3 days which was amazing for her. We fed her on baby food as it was easy for her to eat but she eventually died and i was very upset. She was from a litter of three and the other two are fine and lively. Anyone have any ideas of what it was? Thanks

DSCF2445.jpg

I'm so sorry. Baby buns are very susceptable to problems.

We can't really know for sure, the only way to know for sure would be for you to have had a necropsy done on her.

However, mucoid enteritis is common in kits, although you probably would have seen gut problems. Flopsy (or Floppy Rabbit syndrome) can make them limp. Either of those can affect other kits in the litter and some buns (genetically?) seem to be more likely to get them, so you will have to watch the others carefully for any signs of problems.

Sorry to hear this and can only 2nd what is written above. keep a close eye on the others and quarantine them and their mum from any other rabbits you may have

Hi
If your rabbit does have floppy rabbit syndrome, this is due to a Vit E and Potassium deficiency. Try giving a banana and also vit E from inside capsules from the chemist sprinkled over their food. Each rabbit will react differently, it can take a few days or it can be quite quickly.
I hope this helps.

Thanks all for your suggestions. The siblings and mother are all fine and i just think that she was stressed out and became ill. I just don't want anyone else going through what i did.

Back