• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit being nuetered

Nessajay

Young Bun
Hey my rabbit is being nuetered tomorrow. I have been told that he can have breakfast as normal and then he is to be taken in at around 8. but they told me to bring food with me, are they just expecting me to bring hay, or more pellets, or treats? I think it's most likely hay.

also I don't know what to line his travel carrie with, he's a litter trained house bunny which has wood based litter. do I line it with woodshavings?

some people said that they need something to keep them warm after like a blanket, I have a cotton towl thats very soft that I could use.

sorry for the random questions but when I asked the person at the vets they were very clear, they didn't even meantion about bringing a water bottle.

also one last question is, how much is a mini rex meant to weigh at just under 5months?

:D Line your pet carrier with newspaper that will be fine, if you just take in a blanket to him warm after wards and a bowl of his food that will be fine, they will have either a water bowl or bottle there

my baby is going in tomorrow and i'm lining it with newspapper and putting some wood pellets they use in their pans at the bottom of it incase she has a pee. I'm bringing petal some of her food down and her fav hay as well.

I felt a bit bad as I couldn't get the type of hay I wanted from the local pet shop (I tend to order everything).

Hello! Yes I agree with Haffyj, take a little of his normal pellet/mix food (the reason they ask this is because it can upset a rabbit's tummy if it eats something different to normal, so it's better that you take your own). I wouldn't worry about taking hay, although one time I took a bun in overnight with pellets, veg and hay and the vet said "ooh, a whole menu" :lol:

You don't need to worry about water bottles or soft blankets or anything like that as they will have that sort of thing there. I just use newspaper or an old towel to line the pet carrier, as long as it's a short-ish journey that will be fine. Even if they do a pee in it, it's only for a short while and the paper will soak it up, I find shavings etc make more mess in a carrier!

As he is already a house bunny you don't really need to do anything different when he gets home - just keep him quiet in his cage and put something nice and soft and warm like a couple of towels in his cage for him to snuggle onto. If you usually use a bottle for water I would also give him a bowl, tired bunnies after operations tend to prefer using a bowl. Also some tasty treats should help him to regain his appetite and hopefully he will be right as rain very soon afterwards - it's a very quick op for males and they usually recover within a day.

Good luck!

I tend to take a whole buffet in for them because it tempts them with things they are most likely to eat. I also take their food bowl and water bowl too.

I tend to use newspaper and then hay on top of that in their carrier so that they have stuff to munch on. I also provide fleece in there too for them to sit on after in they want to.

Good luck :)

Use newspaper and hay to line the carrier.

Take pellets with you to the vet, I took a whole bag, and they were like "WOAH!!" :lol:. Just a cupful or two is fine.

My mini rexes weighed just under 1 kg each at 5 months. They are 2kg each now, and they are 1 year old and fully-grown.

I put hay in the carrier, I don't bother taking pellets as they never eat them! as long as they have nice fresh hay to nibble they are fine, but it takes them quite a long while to feel like eating again anyway.

people keep asking me if I'm sure about giving him breakfast before he goes, I'm a bit worried now that I might have miss heard the vet. do I feed him pellets before he goes in?

Yep treat him as normal before he goes to the vets :) Rabbits dont need to be starved like cats and dogs. I'd line your carrier with newspaper then just put a towel or something similar on top :) Then after his op he'll have something soft to sit on. I bought Ronnie vet bed for when he came home. Hope it all goes well xXx

Do everything as normal before you go, fed, watered etc Rabbits don't vomit therefore eating before surgery does not present a risk. Best of luck xx

Back