• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oliver and Simba in, being nuetered..

Hopper

Mama Doe
Took boys in today to be nuetered. Oliver decided to retratc his tezies right up and in and it took half hour for vet to find them :lol: She kept saying there arent any, i said there are as ive felt and seen them, keep looking lol.

Anyway, this is a new vet brought in to cover wednesdays for next few weeks whilst my vet has some days off. She kept stressing how dangouras GA is for rabbits and is more so for rabbits than any other animal, even rats and mice. is this right? She kept saying she wanted to stress this incase anything happens as its so risky. Ive come away feeling pretty worried and concerned now. I know all animals its a risk, some more than others but ive never come across a vet to stress things so much to point im scared. I worry enough as it is and been sick twice today. Im pretty close to tears something will go wrong :(

Not had a phone call yet either.

It carries risks for any animal same as with any person, and should be no more dangerous for a rabbit, if the vet knows what s/he is doing. Rabbits need what our vets call a 'hugger' because they can't regulate their temperature which can be hard work for the vets and nurses.

I'm thinking maybe your vet is not that confident?

Yes they all carry a risk, but with boys the operation is relatively simple compared to the girls where it is very invasive.

If you have any girls I would definately insist on a more confident vet but I'm sure your boys will be fine :D

aw good luck hope your babies pull through. yeah it is very risky, vets are alot better with it now but it's still risky. :love:

Thats what i thought, all animals carry risk.

Ive picked them up and things arent looking good for oliver :( Im not sure after this if this vet is any blooming good. She said after she removed olivers testicles she noticed one was smaller than the other so isnt sure if she removed it all :shock: She said she didnt want to put him under again there and then so he has to go back tomorrow to be checked. How on earth is she going to check? He is going to very sore there and she cant feel about like she could before? There is a chance he might have to go under again :(:evil:

Tomorrow should be my vet so that will be better.

How on earth can you not remove the whole testicle? Wouldnt that be obvious??

Any experienced people who can offer advice before i take him back tomorrow will be much appreciated.

Im [pretty upset and angry right now :(:evil:

Simba is fine, thank god!!

:| I'm so sorry the vet was so incompetent.

Before you go back tomorrow my best advice is to call and talk to your vet. I personally wouldn't feel great about my buns being examined if it wasn't necessary for it to be done immediately. Maybe this is something that, if your vet says its ok, you can wait until he is healed and then tackle this issue?

Have you got pain meds for them? Metacam?

ETA, if he does need it done again, make sure the vets pay for EVERYTHING, the GA, the pain meds, the lot.

Last edited:
:| I'm so sorry the vet was so incompetent.

Before you go back tomorrow my best advice is to call and talk to your vet. I personally wouldn't feel great about my buns being examined if it wasn't necessary for it to be done immediately. Maybe this is something that, if your vet says its ok, you can wait until he is healed and then tackle this issue?

Have you got pain meds for them? Metacam?

ETA, if he does need it done again, make sure the vets pay for EVERYTHING, the GA, the pain meds, the lot.

Thanks. I will call her 1st, it maybe she just might want to check him, both to make sure there ok if this vet has messed up! They have had pain releif today but the stupid vet said come back tomorrow if you need any more :evil: I hope I dont need a vet on a wednesday again whilst she is there!!

If he has to go under again there is no way im paying.

*sigh* Im so angry I will see what my vet says tomorrow and take it from there. I know my vet wont poke and prod about testing to see if the testicle is all removed, but might want to just look at the op area, will get metacam off her tomorrow aswell.

Ohh this vet today also said, if a little bit is still there its not nescessary to remove that bit! Thats not right is it, doesnt the slightest bit left stilll produce hormones? besides the fact she has messed up :evil:

:| I also hope you don't need a vet again on a Wednesday. Maybe complain to your regular vet and they might get a different one in?

Taking them back tomorrow for an exam is probably a good idea, especially as you will need some metacam. I always give my boys metacam for three days after, and by then most of the swelling has gone down.

I just feel really sorry for you because when your buns get operated on you want to be able to trust the vet and for things to go smoothly, and when a vet stuffs up its easy to lose trust in vets in general (I found this after my former vets made some errors).

At least your guy came round from the GA, which was, in a way, the bigger risk given that vet was so clearly unexperienced.

Thank you.

I think as my usual vet is very very good and im lucky to have her she is enough to make me not lose trust in all vets, but i certainly will be extremely weary now of new vets ive not used before.

The thing is, I didnt realise this vet would actauly being doing the op. My vet erika is off but normaly we have another vet who works at practice that covers her, i assumed she would be doing the actual op and this one who messed up just did pre op check and there to see appointment animals.

I will ask for 3 days worth of metacam for them also. Thank you for the avise.

Whats the dose for a rabbit btw of metacam (out of interest)

The dose depends on weight, but it should be in the bottle that they give you, in the instructions.

I hope your regular vet can help you tomorrow. It might also be worth explaining the whole situation so that she is fully aware.

Not sure what the weights should be but Oliver is 1.54 and simba is 1.25. There not very big buns but certainly not under weight, infact there getting tummys :lol::love:

Oliver is very un happy. Ive gave him a carrot and curly kale which he normaly wolfs down but he barely stretched out to get carrot and nibbled. he looks very dazy eyed and sad :( Simba is fine, mucnhing away and hopping about.

I assume is possible to have 1 testicle bigger than the other, so hopefully this is what happened and that vet hadn't seen it before, so was confused... you shouldn't really be able to leave some testicle behind - they're pretty solid! :? I've only ever seen a dog neuter and it was like a big lychee! :shock:

Been to vets. Poor Oliver isnt doing to good. He has hardly eaten at all, just nibbled a carrot and very un happy. My vet checked general op area over and one testicle area is leaking fluid which is clear, she has given him flamazine cream for that as doesnt want to rush into anti biotics yet due to him not eating and his guts. He has been given metacam again and some other stuff by injection to stimulate his gut to make him want to eat, if he doesnt eat today he has to go back tomorrow.

She spoke to other vet as she was there and apperently Oliver didnt take to well to the pre meds or GA so she didnt put him heavily under, this is whats causing the problem now of him being lethargic and not eating. So he isnt a bunny thats too good with GA and sedation :(

She had a very gentle feel around and couldnt feel any testicle left but if it is it could be retracted, obviously she didnt want to apply pressure and poke about as area will be sore so will check properly once he has healed and recovered.

Apperently the other vets excuse was she wasnt sure if during the op he retratced the testicle whilst she was removing, I argued the fact that im sure you would notice if you have removed it all. She is a newly registered vet, pfft, wish i knew that.

Just hoping now he will start eating today.

Eating, pooping and get well vibes for Oliver. :love:
In my opinion that vet shouldn't have operated on your bun without a more experienced vet supervising or at least in the surgery and able to help out. I would definatly be having words - and I would be fuming if I was you. I hope that if he does have one "left behind" that they foot the bill and keep him in afterwards to make sure he's recovering (and have a more experienced vet perform the op)

I hope that he keeps improving today. Have you been keeping him warm and giving him a rice sock or snuggle safe to help him regular his temp? Is he on pain meds?

Just keep tempting him with anything and everything, hopefully he will find something he likes.

Im struggling to get water and food down him, its a battle, he just isnt interested. he has moved around a tiny bit though. No poops but then he wont if he isnt eating. he is getting pretty upset and nad biting out, luckly he has caught syringe and not me. Im just managing to get food and water in him.

He has metacam for the pain. If he is still like this in morning im taking him straight back. I dont understand why he wont eat and drink? He looks more brighter eyed.

yeh im keeping him warm. I have one of those heat pads. Whats a rice sock?

Im in the process of outting a lteer of complaint together. I havent paid yet and tbh dont intend to!

Im very upset my boy is going through this and very angry. Im trying to word my letter sensibly and not what im really thinking which would be completly inaproriate!

I hear your distress, and it's really important your rabbits don't pick up on any sort of negative emotion. Even if you are scared and terrified for him, you still have to put on that calm front so that all he senses is calmness.

If he is looking brighter, that's a good thing. Maybe keep tempting him with his fave fresh foods (if he doesn't like any that he normally wants, then try others that he has not tried or doesnt normally try. That can be potentially risky, but maybe better than nothing? dandelion leaves, basil and parsley go down well here when someone is under the weather, or banana, as well as oats. Anyone eats oats).

A rice sock is a sock filled with regular uncooked rice, and heated in the microwave until it's warm. You can then give it to him (possibly wrapped in something if its really hot), which gives him the option to snuggle with it.

Are your guys normally bonded? (sorry, I forget), if they are, are they still together?

He brinkyed and then drank from bottle!! :D:D He has nibble on hay, no poops yet but he is becoming more active!

No they werent bonded yet, never been together.

Oh I like the idea of a rice sock, how long is best to heat it for?

He seems to be picking up now, still not 100% his feisty self but a difference :D

I heard metacam can surpress there appetite as a side effect?

I hope he doesnt have to under go suregery ever again if GA and sedatives do this. Ive been worried sick, really hoping he stays perked up xx

I understand about them picking up on you stressing etc.. I do stress alot and am a very emotional person and find it hard not to, but i do try, even if i have to walk away and gather myself again.

Oliver has come round properly now :D Eating and drinking on his own and started pooing :|

The last smilie was meant to be a rabbit I selected from smilie box :?)

Back